On a road trip. To Colorado.
Where the skies are blue. The mountains are large. The stars are bright . The air is cool.
And the friends are plenty.
We did a lot of re-connecting.
It was a feeling. A feeling so familiar, like we literally just drove around that corner yesterday. Some things were exactly the same. Some things were different. Voices and hugs were comforting. Some of those hugs tugged at the ol' heart. I'm a lover of familiar.
It was strange driving the same car that used to drive all those familiar roads, but now sports "out of state" plates. It was really strange not pulling that car into the old driveway... of the old house.
But it was really great pulling into other driveways. And walking into homes that welcomed me with their familiar furnishings. Like I had just been there the week before. As if I haven't been away.
Talking. Laughing. Smiling. Answering questions. Eating at our favorite restaurant (a few times). Driving around aimlessly... just looking. Pulling off the side of the road. To just look some more. Hugging. Touching. Waving. Smelling. Loving. Missing. Enjoying. Gazing at much loved plants and flowers that don't grow here in Arizona. Going home, as some people say.
But then it was time to go home. Here, where our car plates tell us we are home. Where I can pull into the driveway of this house. Where I can smile and say... that was a great two weeks. I'll go back again. Thanks for remembering us Colorado.
Thanks to all of our friends who were happy to see us. Who made the time for a visit. Who let me come into their homes and gardens and just sit and look around. Two weeks didn't allow me to see every single person I wanted to see. But, my emotions were full and the next time I'll see more. And now I know I can do it without constantly streaming tears. Unless, of course, I see that one person.
And here I am...back to this new familiar. Where yes... the days are hot. The sky is also blue. The pool water is cool. The wild life is exciting. :) And there are bright stars here too.
Familiar is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment