Wednesday, August 15, 2012

bobcats in the yard

When it is hot outside, like it has been lately, I don't open the blind on our sliding glass door in our bedroom very often. I prefer to keep the heat out. But one morning, I decided I wanted to see the light of day for a little while. So, as I opened the blind... to my surprise... I was greeted by this sight. A snoozing bobcat up on the brick wall. I quietly walked away to grab my camera and then caught a couple of pictures of her while she was getting her morning beauty sleep.

 Beautiful sleeper. See how the fur comes to a point at the top of their ears? I love that.

And then she woke up and stretched. Good morning! I was wondering what she was looking at on the other side of the fence?

Later, I found out. Peering over the fence in the backyard was a youngster. It was being very curious and looking all around. I was being very curious myself and went from window to window to get a good look.

And then before I knew it, this little guy was scaling the fence and disappeared on the other side. I mentioned to Leah that I had seen them and she said "Oh ya, I forgot to tell you, I saw them the other day too." So it looks like we once again had a little family of bobcats.

A couple of days later I was walking through the dining room and caught sight of a little movement. Here were these two just playing around in the corner of the patio. We watched them for a few minutes before they took off into the yard. They rolled and tumbled and turned upside down for quite awhile. The momma joined them and played around too.

Just as cute as ever. I know, they are wild animals and I'm not too keen about sharing our outdoor living space but, they seem to stay their distance from us and they are pretty fun to watch... especially through the windows.

Ok... sometimes I take a sneak outside and use my maximum zoom and try to grab a few shots from a different perspective. If the momma isn't around I will venture a little closer (still using my zoom, don't worry I would never get this close) and get a few pictures. I always watch out for her but on this particular morning I think she was out and about leaving them to play alone in the yard. Or hide in the foliage as they were here.

I do think they are pretty. And I do enjoy seeing them. However, whether it is the extreme heat right now or because of their occasional visits to the yard, the birds are staying away. I do know (as awful remnants of their feasting has been found in the yard) a few birds and a rabbit or two have been lunch for this little group. Also, and I'll say it as delicately as I can... this group has not been very cat like when it comes to burying their... poop. They have been Yuck-o, with a capital Y, in that particular habit. And I'm sorry, but I really don't want the yard to smell like a zoo. So, precious bobcats... find a different spot for your ins and your outs... if you know what I mean.

Yes you. You're cute and all...

I put together a little video for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy. Don't worry, it's just the cute stuff. Just a little bit of them rolling and tumbling and turning upside down.

And as you guessed...the Reptile Rodent Wrangler has a new job.
He's a good guy I tell ya.

And actually, since I took the video of them and we/he cleaned up all the "remnants", we haven't seen them at all.

Perhaps it is a bit hot for them now too.


video credit:  
filming-Me   
editing-Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyable video. They were taking full advantage of the shadow from the palm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe I'm never there when they are!

    ReplyDelete