Tuesday, April 2, 2013

a succulent Easter


After spending a very quiet Easter morning alone, for the first time ever, I drove down and picked up Rachel and headed to Chuck's aunt's house. We enjoyed a very nice brunch / lunch with the Arizona relatives. It was a beautiful day, no cold wind, no rain or snow, just lovely warm sunshine. She and my mother-in-law made a whole lot of delicious food. Good cooks are they!

For my contribution, I brought these little succulent egg carton gardens.  I saw the idea on a mid-day news show and thought..."hey, that's pretty cute...I should try that." So, since we still had my sister and family here for their spring break, I knew I would have some takers on scrambled eggs. I emptied all the eggs and scrambled them up for our saturday morning breakfast before their evening flight home. I found all the little succulents at the grocery store and thought a cardboard egg carton would make a perfect holder.


Each succulent fit into the empty shell perfectly. I had to be gentle so I didn't break the shell. Some of the plants had a large root ball that I had to trim down a bit in order for it to fit.

I think they look pretty darn cute and I love all the different varieties.

The little chicks are pretty cute too.

 I think they will survive in the egg shell planters for a while. With a bit of water now and then and a little light, they should survive and then be ready to be planted in a larger container. And, just a little cracking of the remaining shell will add some organic product to the planting.


I cut the carton in half before adding the succulent eggs so that there were two little gardens. One for my mother-in-law and one for our aunt.

An eggsucculent spring garden for the window sill!

2 comments: