It's not what you think.
You probably thought that something furry, got something feathery, and I was there to see it all. Whilst that could certainly happen (and has before), I'm happy to say that this time it didn't.
I was just sitting out on the back patio watching the cardinals, who were very busy this particular morning.
Along the back of the yard are these three plants/trees. The palm, the aloe and the rose tree that we call the lollipop rose.
I think that is actually what it is called, not just a name we gave it. Named so because, it looks like a lollipop on a stick. Also, perhaps because the flowers are a vibrant red, like a cherry lollipop. It also seems to be a perfect spot for those bright red cardinals to hide a nest. They have done so before and you can't see the nest or the cardinals inside it at all. We are staying away so we don't attract any attention their way or disturb the nest because, I so want to have this be a successful nest!
I had my telephoto lens on and just kept snapping photos for quite some time. These little birds are quick and do a lot of flitting around. Their bright color obviously makes them an easy target for the meanies in the neighborhood, so I've noticed they dance from plant to plant, before disappearing in the lollipop tree.
Here is the female. This is the final stop before zipping into the rose tree.
I caught her tail just as she disappeared. See it?
The male took his turn. Look closely, you can see a long fiber off a plant in his beak.
And there he goes.
This is the stop they make before the aloe plant. She was waiting and watching as the male made his way to the aloe.
Boom, in he went.
Can you spot the male?
Here is where the fur comes into the story. A family of bunnies has been in the yard. I finally caught a glimpse of two babies, one of which was this little guy. He was checking out the poppy plant and confirmed my suspicions as to who has been feasting on it. It was fun to watch the bunny and the cardinals at the same time, neither minded by the other.
I was very careful to not move very much at all. These birds are very sensitive to any movement and at times, I think they could actually hear the shutter snap on my camera and would look my way.
Like this time. I snapped, she flew. I snapped as quickly as I could. The shutter release was not quite quick enough as she almost made it out of my frame.
Back again with more nesting material. Look in her beak. She actually has something with leaves. Extra camouflage perhaps?
The male must have been startled or changed his mind. Instead of going towards the nest with what he was carrying in his beak, he headed the opposite way and landed back on the palm for a minute.
Just a brief moment and he was flying back towards the rose tree.
I cropped the photo in to see him closer. I wish I could get a clearer shot of these guys. One day I will.
While watching the cardinals. I noticed a hummingbird busy on the lavender. Can you see it?
Bunny again.
It was a nice quiet morning sitting on the patio watching the birds and the bunnies. Sometimes they blend in so well, you hardly see them at all. Which is what worries me the most. We ALWAYS have to watch where we are stepping. Things hide.
Like this, it is the female cardinal, nothing too scary...but look how well she blends in to the flowers. Look right in the center and move your eyes up a bit. You will see her.
Speaking of blending in....look who else we saw recently.
More on that later.
Yes people...the desert has come alive again!
I was excited to just get one shot of a hummingbird in a feeder. I love the bright red cardinals.
ReplyDelete