Wednesday, June 11, 2014
appreciating the cardinal
One has to wonder how this cardinal couple keeps up their nesting attempts. The male and female just stopped flitting around the rose bush one day. I'm not sure exactly when, we just noticed they were there one day and then suddenly they were not. Yesterday, for the first time, I got close to the rose bush and peeked in. An empty nest. That's all. No other traces of eggs or babies.
I chased away the road runner that I spotted in the yard one day, lurking close to the rose bush nesting area. And the big black crows? Yep, I clapped my hands and screeched at them when I could hear them high in the palm trees. Occasionally, I would catch a glimpse of a giant shadow and know that it was a crow swooping in and out of the yard. Lately, we have had an abundance of what I think are grackles. They are big talkers amongst themselves, and now I suspect, having seen a couple on the cactus near the rose-nest-bush, I'm sure they were discussing their strategy. But then, there are the pack rats. And although I'm not sure I can imagine the gila monster climbing up into the bush, the information I read about them said their favorite treat are eggs. SO...who knows what are who, but something cleaned the nest out and chased the cardinals away.
Having seen this happen over and over again, I'm just wondering how any make it to adulthood.
Which is why, today I say...appreciate the cardinal when you see one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment