Last Saturday,
I was doing a little perusing of estate and yard sales for some unique old treasures to add to my corner down at the shop. I walked into to a back yard and stumbled upon two women I had met earlier in January. They had shopped at a "back porch sale" I was part of at a local antique shop. I so dearly remembered them because they were a hoot! We were all surprised to see each other. The older woman, who I now know to be 85 and her neighbor who is probably in her 40's, have a great friendship! Lee, is most definitely, the spryest, most limber, funniest, 85 year old I have ever met. I will never fully be able to describe her personality. It is one of those "you had to be there to appreciate" moments. She had a story to tell and told it well! She told me about the business she and her late husband and daughter had. They sold cowboy boots and other "horse" related items. She said they were real entremanures!
Her excitement level during our morning of conversation was evident by her hand clapping, skipping, joking and running to greet a new customer. They asked if I had seen any of the old cars that were around the sales that morning and I said I had. I thought it unusual that I had been seeing so many old cars on the road and touring around the sales. The two ladies told me it was an Old Car -Yard Sale- Scavenger Hunt. An old car group had a list of items they needed to find at yard sales and when completed, the one with the most items and spending the least would be the winner! Knowing how many interesting people I have met while at some of these sales, I thought this was actually kind of a fun thing for this car group to do.
So, when this car pulled in, horn honking and the three people inside waving to us, Lee jumped up and ran over to them saying..."I've been waiting for you! What do you have on your list?" Of course, the cars before this one had full filled their list and bought everything needed.
Lee, however, struck up a conversation with the owner of the car. Doyle was pretty charming himself with his dapper cowboy hat and boots. One of the first things Lee asked him was how old he was. When he said he was 84... she laughed, did a little skip and put her arm through his and said "I'm a cougar!" Then she asked him if he danced! She evidently, was a big dancer and has missed it greatly since losing her husband. Soon, Doyle walked over to the rest of us and said "I'm taking this little lady for a ride in my car and you (pointing to me) need to come along as our chaperone"! Oh so much laughter. I motioned to Lee's friend and asked if she would like to go along and I would watch her sale for her.
She said "No, you go!"
So, I did.
And oh my goodness...what a hoot! Look at her leaning into his shoulder!! They chatted non-stop! The car was great, those leather seats were so comfortable. Doyle was teaching Lee all about the car and how to drive it. All the gears were shifted by foot pedals, drive and reverse included. He had a big horn that he kept honking and showed her a foot pedal, that she could press, that released air when he wasn't pushing on the gas pedal. It made a whistling honking sound.
It was a beautiful day and so many people were out driving, walking and jogging. Everyone was waving at us and he would honk the horn and we would wave back. Wow...an old car brings smiles to people's faces! Lee was waving and said she "felt like the queen", so I showed her how to do the princess wave...elbow, elbow, wrist wrist. She practiced and perfected it! Pretty soon, he was asking her which way to turn and she said she didn't know because she has only driven her car three times in the last four years. So, they asked me. Mind you, I follow signs to these sales and so I really wasn't sure where we were! But, I did some quick thinking,,,sun location, mountains etc., and directed him the right way to find the main road which helped Lee to know where she was at. Phew.We made it back to her home and they chatted some more. They each told a few stories of their younger years, finding out they were both originally from Oklahoma.
It was such a fun time!
When it was time for them to leave, he tipped his hat and told her "maybe I'll see you next time"!
Cutest thing.
I enjoyed talking with those two women and found their relationship so charming. Lee never had a complaint and her light blue eyes just sparkled. I enjoyed their company for an hour and a half.
And, about Doyle and Lee...if this was a match made during a scavenger hunt and a ride in an old car...
I'm happy to have witnessed it.
Or, I guess, chaperoned it!
So much fun! A special bonus while rounding up items for your corner.
ReplyDelete