Thursday, May 7, 2015

that Hawaiian plant and a letter of sorts to my mom

 This plant sits in our living room in front of the tall windows. The last time I wrote about it, it had just made its way to my house here in Arizona. This plant is over 35 years old, starting from a bulb a high school friend gave to me after her vacation to Hawaii. My mom cared for the plant for all of those 35 plus years, until she moved to Texas and declared the plant mine. You can read the original post I wrote by clicking here. At the time, I wasn't sure what it was called. After our recent trip to Hawaii,  I learned it is a variety of the Star Lily .  Back when I wrote the original post, I promised my mom that I would keep her posted if it ever bloomed under my care. 

I had a discussion about my plant with a local Hawaiian resident while we were there. I told him the whole story of how I got the bulb and how it has only bloomed one time. He told me to water it like crazy and it would bloom. So, I returned home and immediately started watering it more frequently. I gave it a dose of plant food as well. And yep...just like he said.... a blossom stalk appeared.

I was pretty excited to say the least.

 So Mom, as I said in my original post that I wrote about this plant...this post is for you.

I snapped a picture every day or two. It didn't take long before it got quite tall and I was careful to turn the plant once in awhile so it wouldn't lean towards the windows too far to seek the sun. My plan worked for awhile...

...until this happened.


                                 Why does everything have to be so snake-like around here?

                        It really was interesting to see how it had changed from the day before.
                         And, because I had never seen it bloom, I had no idea what to expect.


             Finally, one of the buds opened. Sure enough, as its name suggests, it looks like a star.
                                       The fragrance was very lily-like...sweet .


It is obvious that it likes the sunlight. I've had it outside on the patio before, but as the wind blew the leaves would get bent, so, even though it isn't an ideal light situation, I believe it will stay right where it is at.

                                 After all, it must be somewhat happy since it bloomed!

I promised to take care of it ...and I was determined to get it to bloom again. I'd say I was successful....or just lucky. So, Mom...as Mother's Day is just around the corner...Happy Mother's Day. Here is a bouquet of flowers for you!!




Oh...so you wish you would have been here to see it bloom? Well guess what? When you arrive next Wednesday for Rachel's graduation, you'll get to see it do just that!!!



 When I got home from Texas, I found another stalk was working its way up. You WILL get to see it bloom! How lucky is that?

Happy Mother's Day!


1 comment:

  1. Impressive blooms. I'm excited that I will get to see it as well.

    ReplyDelete