Friday, July 17, 2015

nesting and resting



This baby dove recently hatched and left the nest along with its nestbuddy. I noticed the other one gingerly tried out its wings and made a few hops around the front patio before it followed its mother up and over the gate. This one, however, was a little more timid. A little more anxious to stay close by. It too, hopped around and stretched its wings but chose to fly a short distance up onto the water fountain to rest for awhile.

It stayed there most of the afternoon, never really moving. It would fluff out its feathers and carefully turn its head from side to side, but every time I looked out the window, it was right there... resting.

I guess it was not quite ready to completely spread its wings and fly, but just wanting to test the waters a little. I didn't want to open the door, afraid I would scare it off when it really wasn't quite confident to head out.  But yet, I was secretly cheering it on to be strong and brave and trust its wings, because otherwise, it faced the risk of being caught in the grasp of some low-lying creature.

Finally, while peeking through the window I discovered it was gone. It must have finally stretched itself from the familiar comfort of the nest and the safety of the fountain to join all the other birds out their pecking their way through the day.

I'm glad this one finally trusted the strength of its wings to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment