Thursday, October 1, 2015

happy october

I recently watched one of the little hummingbirds that hang out in our backyard on a daily basis. They fly around the flowers and the feeder and even the sprinklers, hoping for a sweet and refreshing drink.  Today is the first day of October and the temps are suppose to reach 106. This is the toughest month for me living here. I miss the crisp mornings and the turning leaves and the winds that whip up and swirl the fallen leaves into a leafy tornado. But, I know it's the fall season because the stores tell me so. And so does memory. I can close my eyes and picture all that fall has to offer.
For now though, I will watch the hummingbirds flit around the orange flowers. I will watch the summer-choked plants come back to life. I will watch all the snowbirds return to our area and count all of the out-of-state license plates. I will watch the winter grass start to grow... all green and lush! I will watch our roses as they start to sprout new leaves and flower buds. I will watch for the owls as they come back to our trees. I will watch for all the subtle changes that mean a different season really has begun.

This little one isn't a very colorful hummingbird, but it didn't mind me standing quietly by, snapping a few photos. Look at it's tiny tiny feet!

                                                They really are amazing little birds.

             Do you know that they have very long straw-like tongues that suck the nectar ?

This is a picture I found off the internet. I would be so very lucky if I were to ever get a photo like this, but for now I will have to use someone else's. Isn't that interesting? That is the tongue!

My photo just looks like they stick their beak into the flower, which they do, but their tongue darts out at top-speed to slurp the nectar up. 

I enjoy watching the hummingbirds. They are so very territorial with the good nectar spots and often fight each other off and on some days, when it is too hot for them to do a lot of flying, they just sit up in the trees and sing their tiny little chirppy sounds. Cute birds!

Okay...I just wanted to wish you a happy October! Wherever you are, I hope fall is showing it's beauty whatever it may be.

Cool and colorful or warm and sunny!

Make it a great fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment