Monday, March 28, 2016

quote Monday



We could certainly use a few more good springs in our world!

Our Easter yesterday was a beautiful one. We got to spend it in the backyard, with family, and a pretty blue sky. A little house finch has made a nest up under the eaves on the back patio. The mama and papa were keeping an eye on all of us sitting right below their nest of babies. As things were winding down with our festivities, I got up on a chair with our cousins phone and snapped a photo, so we could see what was up there. I want to say it was a beautiful nest like the one above... however...this is what was up there...



Babies yes!
Poor things were a little fooled thinking I was bringing them something to eat. I saw mama come back a bit later tending to them while papa helped her out.

What is puzzling, is amount of "glue" they have used to build this nest.

I've watched mama birds with other nests clean the babies droppings from the inside to the outside. But I think this is more than that. When people build log cabins, the mortar or materials they use to fill between the logs is called chinking.  I guess, technically, the filler between the sticks and grass would fall into the "other" category, although I realize this is a nest and not a log cabin. Yes, that's a lot of chink for sure! This won't be a nest I try to keep after they all fly away. I prefer a cardinal's nest.

They are birds that are more weavers than chinkers.

Happy Monday everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment