Last time I checked, which was just now...you are a woodpecker and you should be pecking wood. However, I scoured all the bird websites for Arizona loving birds and I really didn't find what I think to be an exact match. So, since you like to hang from this hummingbird feeder and make yourself giddy on sugary sweet nectar water, perhaps you're a bird-type all your own. Bird.
I took these photos about two weeks ago and as of today this bird has drained the bottle of juice to nearly empty. This afternoon, as I walked past it, I noticed there is some spillage (of sorts) all down the bbq grill and brick wall below it...even a little puddle on the tile floor. It doesn't look like the red stuff directly out of the feeder...more like...oops...well...shoot....er hiccup...I think I drank a little too much and now-I've-made-a-mess-of-things kind of puddle.
Nope, not gonna share at all.
I mean, look how hard he is working on getting his big beak
into those those tiny holes meant for the dainty little hummingbirds.
In fact...all-out bar room brawls have taken place around the old water cooler.
And, I believe, we won't be filling this one again any time soon. We have another one that is in a spot that isn't as easy to get to that I hope the hummingbirds will enjoy... alone.
What I do like about these woodpeckers? I collect the little feathers that they loose. Many of them are actually polka dotted, which are a nice addition to bottles or abandoned nests that I have collected. Sometimes, I enjoy hearing them chirp and tweet. They can actually sound somewhat melodic at times.
Mostly after sipping the sweet I think !
update: Chuck says it is a Flicker of some kind. I still can't find an exact match. Anyone have an idea?
Gigantor update:
It is still gigantic.
It is leaning a bit further.
It will be a problem if it falls.
It is awesome looking.
Actually, rather than the sipping bird, I think this is the boss of the yard.
Ummm. nope.... I think this problem is the real boss right now.
Well, I had a short video here of a swarm of bees but for some reason it disappears as soon as I hit 'publish' on my post. So, I ve up trying. Here is the swarm after they partially vacated their hidey hole. The big dark spot on the brick wall back there. That's the swarm after they had clumped onto the tree and then moved to the wall. The video is really impressive because you can hear the loud buzzing. It even had a sweet musty odor that would drift over now and then. We have a group in the back and another in the front. We are encouraging them to move to a new home. Wish us luck.
Our yard is pretty darn fun!
Your yard IS a fun place! Wish I were there.
ReplyDeleteI'd Bee kicking them out too!
ReplyDelete