Here is a post for my sisters. Some of you have been asking to see the finished trees at the store. It was a labor of love. The labor of boxes and boxes of items that we priced and sorted all summer long. And then, the love (and more labor) seeing a tree go up, one at time, until the store was all decked in its finery for our BIG open house. The first tree went up September 1st. The last tree, which I did and it felt like getting to put the last piece into a jigsaw puzzle, went up October 31st. Just about 8 weeks total. One of the funniest things that people ask..."how many hours did this take?" When we tell them 8 weeks with 5 people, their mouths gape. It is quite the undertaking. The other funny thing that Paul will occasionally answer to their question..."about 6 hours"! And their mouths gape. We laugh!
I'm starting this very photo intense post with a pic of my favorite customer that passed through the long (almost two hour wait) line of people to check out on the first day. I had to keep squeezing myself through the line to go to the backroom to get fairy and elf boxes, which was constant, so I said "excuse me" and "pardon me" (the two most popular statement we make daily) to this woman about 50 times. Finally, because I was getting such a kick out of how she loaded herself up, I asked if I could take her picture. The ultimate shopper! I felt like she should win a prize!
So, to explain a little about how this process goes...it starts well over a year in advance. I can say that right now because Paul and Dustin are actually at their first buying trip for Christmas 2019 today and tomorrow! This is a pre-show for some exclusive customers and based on feed back and orders, it will determine what this company actually puts into production.
As they place orders, they are already creating themes and as the order is placed they put the name of the theme in the 'Bill To' column of the order sheet, which, will also be on the shipping label of the boxes. That way, when the invoice comes and the shipments start rolling in, we know what shipments go to what theme. We opened and priced every item, starting in June and July and some that trickled in well into September and a bit in October. I heard a number thrown out by Paul to customer..."easily 10,000 ornaments". We re-pack things into plastic bins and some of the cardboard boxes they were shipped in, each box and bin getting a label with the theme name. The theme names are printed on white labels all sorted in a giant binder by theme. This is part of the organization process that was done before the shipments started arriving. I had actually helped finalize some of the theme names and helped put the binder together early last spring. Any ribbons that go to the theme are in a separate binder with swatches all sorted, again, by the theme. Everything is really very organized and quite a system.
The labeled boxes and bins are taken to the warehouse and stacked by themes. Also, I should note, they have at this point started a map of the store, deciding which times will go where and how many tress will be in that theme. They sort the boxes in the warehouse in the order in which trees will go up, based on the placement in the store. Since all the decorating is done during store hours (except for the last two weeks) we start in the back section of the store and work our way forward, leaving the front of the store where there is the heaviest foot traffic through the front door for last. When we are ready for a theme or section, they bring those boxes from the warehouse that morning. When us worker bees get to the store, we unload the truck and stack them out by the side door, thankfully under a shade canopy since we start the project when these Arizona temps are still in the 100's! Thankfully, we are allowed to wear shorts! Below, you will see the stacks of boxes for this particular day. These were actually for three trees, all in the same themed area. We open boxes and re-sort based on color and sizes and to just see what we are up against as some of the stuff is priced when we are not working. It's a surprise daily!
This stack is for one tree!
This stack is two trees, so we had to sort and seperate them outside. And of course, we can't leave things open, so we have to close up the boxes that can't fit into our workspace and come out and get them when we need them. Lots of walking back and forth. These were not the first trees to go up, in fact, they were towards the middle of the process. It just happened that I took a second to snap a few pics the day these boxes were out. I normally don't keep my phone on me, and we are at green light "go" the minute we get to work in the morning, so trees happen and then we leave without taking photos.
The themes are Candi's Confection's and Sargent Peppermint...
So...here is Candi's Confections, tree number one, with Candi herself at the top....
This is Sargent Peppermint and I can see that the Sargent was actually not in front of this tree wen I snapped the photo. Two large nutcracker's with candy buttons and such were sitting in front of the tree. They sold within the first couple of days that they were out of the boxes.
I did this tree. I was so nervous with the ornaments that hang from the curly candy canes, was they are a specialty ornament and are pretty fragile and pricey. I made it through without dropping a single one! I will say, my odds are pretty good...I don't drop many. It does happen, with us and with customers...Paul just shouts out from wherever he is after hearing that distinctive crash...
"Oh, that was my favorite one!"
Queen of the Farm!
I'm noticing how bare the top shelf looks. I realize I took this photo before Dustin made the most beautiful garland swag out of magnolia and the two shades of pink velvet flowers. The ribbons that we have in the store are incredible and with his background in the floral business, he made wonderful big ribbon bows. It is so beautiful!
Pigs and tiaras!
That is a real iron skillet with the bacon ornaments. He wired several into the tree. Notice the hay bale tree topper. Believe it or not, much of this tree has sold. We had two sisters that bought a pig with a tiara and a patchwork stocking for their mother. She was 'The Pork Queen' in her hometown when she was young. The two sisters were laughing so much...it was hilarious.
And then there was the lady that said she couldn't believe we had 'pink cows' on a tree! That made our day!
This is Kris Moose!
These are the funniest guys. The tall ones actually have telescoping legs you can lift them and make the moose grow taller. This theme is completely sold out. Even the tree is gone!
And next to Kris Moose is Merry Moose.
There is nothing left here either.
Merry Christmas Merry Moose!
Next is Pomegranates.
I happen to have a before photo of this one which is rare. Like I said before, we usually jump in so quickly and stay so busy throughout the day that I rarely thought to get a picture of the 'before'. But, here is one. You can even see the blanket that was spread over the couch to keep some of the snow flocking off if it while we did the tree.
And here is the mostly finished. This tree has been a continuous motion tree. This is not even the finished tree as it was suppose to be, when a lady came in and bought most of the red berries. So, then I had to re-do to balance it out. again, women kept buying pieces of it. I've honestly gotten so tired re-working this tree it has become a joke in the store.
Across from Pomegranates is Raspberry and Sage. The two themes were so beautiful, the photos do not do it justice. I will mention here that most of the trees, the bare trees, have duplicates or more at the warehouse. This particular tree sold very well. So well in fact, that we've had to take down this tree because it sold early on. So much of both Pomegranates and Desert Sage has sold that the Pomegranate tree itself mow sits here and it is a combination of the tow trees. Even yesterday, I had to re-work this tree yet again because it was so devastated.
As you can see why, from these close ups, the pieces were very pretty and would make any tree look beautiful. But again, the photos do not do any of this stuff justice.
A little peek through the glass divider. Those large red ornaments hung on the tree and around the tree from the ceiling. Gosh, I wish I had the time to take better pictures. And more of them. As I go back though what I have, I can see how miserably I missed the mark.


I sold this beautiful Santa the other day. Nothing else in this picture is left either. We do bring more things from the warehouse to fill in, so area are ever changing. It's remarkable how quickly things sell.
Meet Bessie.
She is the nice twin sister. The one that was hard at work putting all the ornaments on the trees and being very precise about where she placed the decorations. Everything neat and tidy.
And meet Bertha. The twin that just sat on the arm of the couch with her bottle of booze smoking her cigarette. She wasn't helping with the trees and her present wrapping was a bit of a mess! She needed the little elf to help her out.
It took me quite a while to get this elf just right next to the mail box. A little wire strung to the tree helped him stand with his arm perfectly positioned. Bessie sold, the mail box and elf sold, most of the ornaments have sold, so its pretty much just Bertha sittin' pretty with her beverage!Two full trees were in this theme. The smaller was filled with little animals. Owls and birds and deer.
These big velvet deer were placed in and around the trees. So pretty.
The quail are pretty with soft feathers covering them. The succulents were all icy and sparkly. There were enough for many customers to purchases a few, or many, at a time.
I can't tell you how many times I climbed a ladder to get icicles down for people. "No, that one to the right of the long one".... And, you can imagine when one took a dive and hit the floor how it sounded!
Here is one that I got a before picture.
Now, I guess I never got an after picture, because, this is an after, after picture. After it was devastated the first time. And, there have been many devastation to this tree. The top originally had a big buck and doe up at the top. A lady purchased them two days after we finished the tree. This one head is addition about three additions later. I took this picture just to show how things look when stuff is just hanging on for dear life. As of now, there aren't any dear, ribbons lanterns bell branches. we have tried hard just to keep it making sense. Someone must have cut part of the light cords when taking out a dear head because, half the lights aren't working. It's really a sad area right now.
Before.
After.
Northwoods.
Filled with owls and owls and a couple hundred owls, pinecones and woodsy ornaments.
And, two beautiful Santas.
Most of this area is gone. It went from three trees to two. One of the last two sold out, so it was replaced by another tree. Sometime's you just get tired of taking down and putting up, fixing and re-fixing. But, that is what it's all about. And, for the most part, it is very nice to see people get very excited about what they are taking home with them. Lots and lots of people took owls home. We had boxes and boxes of them that we were able to re-stock often. Currently, there are just a few lone owls.
This themed area is in the front of the store. It is called Gilded Threads and was layered with all things religious. Crosses, madonnas, cherubs, angels and nativity's. It was two big trees originally. We quickly sold out of the one style of large trees, so we had to strip this first tree, and then put up two smaller ones in its place. So, as they stand, there are now three trees in the front. And they are mostly empty. We had sold quite a few pieces here and there, but then, in the same day, we had two customers purchase nearly everything off all three trees. That was a lot of wrapping and bagging and carrying to cars. We've re-worked the trees many times just to keep things looking decent. We've re-stocked nativity's and candles and angles daily. (edit: this is taking so long to type that as of yesterday, there are now two trees. We consolidated what was left down to two.)
Before:
After:
I took this photo when I was on the tall ladder working on another theme late at night. I thought this birds eye view was pretty.
It was spectacular when we had all the candles lit throughout the day. I didn't get a photo of the third tree that was also in this area. It was the first thing people saw when they walked in the door. There were many "Wow's" heard from this entire theme!
Paris Princess. Soft pinks and slivers, Eiffel towers, ballet slippers, jeweled snowflakes and a few hippos with tutus adorned this one. The tree sat in a swan sleigh. So pretty. After the open house, after many of the ornaments had sold, a man came in and bought the whole thing (minus about 20% of the rest of the ornaments) for his wife for a surprise. So, this is now a four foot tinsel tree with a handful of ornaments that continue to sell.
Dustin hung this beautiful draped light curtain with 5,000 champagne colored rice lights.
It was spectacular!
This is glass slipper. It was loaded with everything glass, shiny and sparkly!
Yes, that is a very large feathered goose as a tree topper. It sold immediately!
Pretty butterflies and birds had landed all over the two hanging trees.
While I'm showing the hanging tree I will do Tea Party next! This was quite a feat of technical stamina! We hung a 7 foot tree from the ceiling. Not upside down like you've possibly seen before but, upright above a dining table. Before decor:
After:
The lower tree had a brass fox in it, the hanging tree had a brass hare! A children's book was the inspiration for this theme...and with my love of children's books I snagged it immediately since they only purchased one copy. it is beautiful!
The hare with his monocle!
One of the many, many elves that were frolicking around the store! There were hundreds of fairies flying from the ceiling too!
Here comes the Snowbirds!
before:
after:
Oh...you ask for more? Snowbabies! I didn't get a pick of all the little ones that were further down the tree. Cute, cute, cute!
Next is What cha doin'? Imagine about a dozen plastic bins filled with these. Hundreds and hundreds, all added to this tree one by one. And the tree is on the table which meant...ladder time! This is a popular tree as there is everything from a bagel, a bag of chips, and pancakes with syrup to a construction hat, barber pole and winnebago!
It sits right by the check-out register. Brilliant for impulse buys!
This is tree lot. All types of vintage ornaments, trucks with Christmas trees hot chocolate mugs and snowballs. We had an old fashioned candy counter set up on the other side of the windows with...you guessed it, old fashioned candy. Mostly all sold out by now.


Snowball garlands hung from the ceiling and way up high, if you can see it...we had a snow machine! Small little artificial snow flakes floated down and accumulated on the trees. It was such an added surprise for people to see!
You can see how the snow piled up on the branches. It was the outside, with the snow and trees for sale and the inside with the candy counter and other miscellaneous goodies.
Across from Tree Lot was Toy Box. A giant Santa with all his toys and elves. This ended up being Paul's favorite. The elves and fairies that are everywhere in the store are by Mark Roberts. I had never heard of them before and are really not my favorite thing, but they've grown on me (a tad). People go nuts over them and collect them like crazy. Mark Roberts himself comes to a four hour signing event on the second day of the open house. He doesn't do many of the signings, but, because of the volume that Paul does in sales, Mr. Roberts comes. It was a madhouse that day.
Royal Guard.
I missed this photo earlier, which was a theme itself, and was near Queens Conservatory. It was all about these nutcrackers, large and small.
Oh, speaking of elves and fairies....here is Fairyland. Actually, the photo is just of the elf tree, somehow I completely missed the fairly tree. All the elves and fairies you could ask for. As of Monday when I worked, there were two elves left. Unbelievable how people love these things!
Butterflies and Baubles.
The last tree to be done. On October 31st. I did it by myself and like I said, felt like it was the last piece of a jigsaw puzzle.
That about ends the tour. Believe it or not...there are about six or more themes that I didn't get photos of. And, keep in mind that much of this doe not even exist any more. Hard to believe actually, as I'm going through all of these phots to realize hw much is gone. We will be dragging out the shop vacs before we know it trying to de-glitter the store!
I will end with this. Paul in his specially made Christmas coat by one of his vendors this year. I ordered the tights for him...ha! He's holding the Toymaker Santa, which we decided...


...looks mischievously like him!
Merry Rustic Stuff style Christmas!
p.s. this post took nearly as long as it did to decorate the store!
p.s.s I know there are loads of typos and errors, but I'm just not going back on this one to do corrections or even read it to see if things make sense. So, perhaps you just looked at the pictures anyway and didn't even notice!














































































Amazing! Wow! Fantastic! Unbelievable! Gorgeous! Lots of creativity and hard work!
ReplyDeleteDid I say I'm completely blown away?!