Today I'm continuing bobcat week. But it comes with a warning. The cuteness factor of these little babies has been upped a notch on the wildlife cuteness scale. You might just forget (for a minute at least) that these are wild animals. I will tell you that I have called and inquired about them being in our yard. I did also look at an Arizona wildlife website that explained what kind of things in a yard attract bobcats. Did you know they have a picture of our yard as a "perfect" example of the finest luxury bobcat spa? Well, maybe not a picture but certainly a perfect description.
Mostly, I was told that they are non-threatening, comfortable around people and you can pay to have someone trap them and relocate them. Or, you can try to scare them off. We have found that they don't scare off very easily. I found that the best thing to use is that clump of ice that forms in your ice maker. Give it a big heave-ho towards them and hope that you hit a tree. The ice shatters and scatters in all different directions making it hard for them to decide which way to run. The babies do take off. The Momma sits and watches. Sometimes she gets up and follows the babies. The last time they were here, I watched these two youngsters for quite awhile. The first time we saw this little family, the girls named the feisty one Gus. He and his sibling tend to stick together. I shall name her Molly. The third one, who has the bum leg sticks close to the Momma. I haven't named it.
Gus and Molly.
"I'll wait here while you go first, Gus", Molly exclaimed while patiently waiting her turn.
He scampered up the chair and pulled himself, with all his little baby bobcat might, up and on top of the brick wall.
I was taking some of the pictures through the sliding glass door. The glass was putting a glare on the images, so very bravely, constantly looking behind me, I snuck the door open and stuck my head and camera out to snap a few photos. Gus was very comfortable to just let me snap away.
Molly was a little bit shy.
"Quick Molly, stick your tongue out at the lady." said Gus as he threw a little tongue raspberry my way.
After that Molly disappeared and only Gus was left. He posed quite nicely for me without a care in the world. He was relaxed. For me it went like this. Click. Click. Click. Look over my shoulder. Click. Click. Click. look over my shoulder.
By then, Gus got bored with me. Yawn. "I think I'll take a little nap."
Is that not the cutest little bobcat face ever?
I'm glad you've done your research. I was beginning to wonder if there was a fine line between cute wild life and dangerous WILD life and at what point you might reach that line.
ReplyDeleteYou're so brave. Kind of like the crocodile hunter, but only with cute baby bobcats.
ReplyDelete