Sunday, June 3, 2012

bunny rescue


Not all the wildlife in our backyard is scary.

Last week, I looked out the kitchen window and saw a little swimmer in the pool. I couldn't tell what it was until I went out and looked closer. A little baby rabbit was doing the bunny paddle. It was barely able to keep its head above water. I called out to Leah and Ryan for some help. Ryan was able to reach in and scoop up the water logged baby. They held it gently in their hands while the sun warmed and dried out its fur.  Then they set it down and watched it for awhile.

No kidding, just minutes later while Leah was still sitting by the bunny, a bobcat meandered its way across the yard. We haven't seen any for a very long time. Ugh. I couldn't stand the thought. But luckily, the bobcat jumped up and over the fence and out of the yard.

The next day, I saw the bunny baby in the yard and was happy to know it had survived its near drowning and perhaps its fate to the bobcat.

This circle of wild life is a rough one sometimes.
We are glad that our gentle hands gave this little bunny an extra chance.

1 comment: