Well, October and Halloween are behind me. I didn't really decorate this year...why put out spiders and snakes and stuffed birds...when you have the real thing lurking around every corner?
Along with the spider and snake that kept me company last week, there was also this guy...
Oh come on..don't be shy...
That's better.
A Harris's Hawk. I wasn't positive what kind of bird it was the day I heard it in the palm tree. I have seen these before, from a distance, and thought it was probably a Harris's. When I uploaded the pictures to my computer I could see it more clearly. (glasses help). It was really "talking" quite the talk. So was I actually. I was sitting outside enjoying my afternoon talking with my friend in Colorado. There was a whole lot of talking going on while the sun was shining on my day. It happened to be the "day after" the big hairy spider incident. I was feeling a little more settled and then this guy made his presence known. Now, I want you to know, the Wrangler is back in town and do you think there has been one creature episode? Nope. They only come out when I am alone.
It looked pretty nice sitting up on the tree like that. It looks as though it is sitting on a nest, however, those dried stalks are just the blooms that shoot out in the spring. They are on their way to drying and falling from the tree. The bird looks all nesty-like though doesn't it?
He, or she, I guess I don't really know which it is, sat there for quite a long time. It did not scare off while I was aiming my camera in its direction. As usual, I was a safe distance and just zoomed in on it.
A little more zoom and then I zoomed and cropped on the computer some more. Sadly, I missed the focus just a bit.
Later in the afternoon, I could hear a big cacophony of cackling going on over in the side yard. So, I went out to investigate. I could tell it was the same sound that the hawk was making earlier, only now there were four of them. When I looked up the Harris's Hawk, I read that they hunt in "packs", or family groups. So, it sounded like this was one big happy hunting family. Hopefully, hunting for spiders, snakes and small rodents!
I wasn't able to get a photo of all four of them together at the same time. One flew off to the neighbor's palm tree and they really got to chattering with each "long distance". Sort of like my friend and I had been doing earlier that day. You can see the wings underneath are white. You can really see it when they fly.
Oops, I think that one spotted me. Stay up in the tree big guy. I'm not anything that is on your list of dietary delights!
The birds are actually interesting to watch and listen to. I don't really mind them. Some days it sounds like a real jungle out there. Oh wait...it sort of feels like one too.
Thanks for checking in on my blog and reading about my adventures.
And to my Colorado friend...it was great chatting with you!
~norma~
P.S. Don't forget if you click on the highlighted green words you will be linked to more in-depth reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment