The owls are back in town.
Actually, they are back in the palm trees. We had been hearing them at night hooting back and forth with each other. When we first moved here, I read about these owls and even googled the unusual sounds they were making. I listened to recordings of the different sounds and heard the exact pattern of sounds that we were hearing. I never knew owls had so many different hoots. There was a squawking sound that intrigued me the most. It was a male female and calling out to each other. It is a pretty interesting pattern of calls. If you would like to hear the sounds that we hear each night, this time of year, click on this link and scroll down to the "calls" and click on each individual call. I find it fascinating. One of the better "wildlife" moments around here. Of course, I have also read how these birds will swoop down and pick up cats and small dogs. They eat other birds and mice and regurgitate the pellets of undigested bones and fur. Yep, I find those in the yard under the trees.
One early morning, Chuck had a big scare (finally) as he left out the front door for work. It was still a little dark and as he walked by the magnolia tree, an owl hooted at him. The big owl was eye level to him right next to his head. He said it really scared him! Huh. Imagine that?
Thanksgiving weekend was the first time I've seen them in the tree in the backyard. I told Rachel to take my camera and get some good pictures. So she did. We had fun watching these two. I'm not sure that I can say the same about the owls watching us!
They were sleeping when I saw them. As Rachel got closer to the tree, they started to wake up. See how his eyes are opening?
He slowly opened one eye at a time. Just a little peek to see who was sneaking around under their tree.
Oh....playing a little hard to photograph I see.
There you are.
Uh oh. He doesn't look too happy that his nap was interrupted. Angry bird?
Oh. Hello.
I guess she got his attention. Look at the talons on that foot!
This is about the time that Rachel told me I was going to love the pictures she was getting. " You're going to love me for these pictures Mom!" I do love you Rachel!
This owl was grooming his foot!
And then he put his foot back down. All clean. And all sharpened it looks like!
Huh? Kinda cute with one ear tuft up and one down.
And then the other one finally woke up and decided to join the photo op party. Hello...
They really are pretty amazing birds. Huge.
The one on the left, perhaps it is the female, lost interest and proceeded to go back to her afternoon snooze. Maybe, she is a little tired from the late nights they had been hooting about?
The big guy kept an eye on things on the ground. Look at those talons! Yikes, no wonder the smaller mammals don't have a chance around them. I guess I should keep eating my beloved Oreos so I don't need to worry about being a smaller mammal!
Rachel took one of her favorite photos and did a little creative work on the computer. I love what she did... don't you? We may need to print this one and frame it.
I enjoy seeing these big birds in the trees. I hope, someday, that their nesting will result in some little ones that we can be lucky enough to photograph. In the meantime, we will listen to them talk to each other when the sun goes down.Good job on the photos Rach. You're right ...I do love them. And you!

Lovely, especially since they're outside in a tree (if you know what I mean!).
ReplyDelete