Wednesday, May 15, 2013

hey there cardinal


It's all about the birds right now. The quail are nesting anywhere they can. The dove are making their haphazard nests on anything as high as possible. We have seen a couple of orioles up in the palm and magnolia trees presumably building their unique nests. Their songs and chirps and chatter are very enjoyable to listen to.

The cardinals are tough birds to photograph. They are flighty and like to hide their nests deep in the foliage. But, I have seen this one, and his female companion, darting out from the rose bush on the front  patio. I took a peek the other day and sure enough...a little nest is hiding inside. The cardinals really watch over their nests. They take turns sitting on it and the male, being so bright and conspicuous, does a tap-dance of sorts before flying into the nest. He lands on first one tree branch, then another, then another plant until he finally scoots into the thick coverage of the rose bush. I guess he is trying to fool you as to where the nest is really at. I'm not getting close enough to see if there are eggs. I sure don't want to give away his secret. So, I will just keep my ears listening for some little peeps and hope to see some little heads from a distance.

I love hearing all of these birds, most especially the song birds singing their little hearts out. It makes me happy to wake up to the sound of them in my left ear.

Hey birdie.


1 comment:

  1. We must have a cardinal nest in our rose bushes too. The male and female both spend some time on our back porch which makes for some very convenient bird watching.

    ReplyDelete