Thursday, November 21, 2013

the color purple and the things people say

I was in Texas for Halloween.
My sister and I had taken my nieces boys to Goodwill to put together some costumes for them. My favorite costumes are always the ones you put together yourself out of stuff you already have or hunting Goodwill for just the right thing. 
I have put together some gems over the years.

When I stumbled upon this house dress, in what could have been sized for just about anyone, I decided I would dress up and tag along with the boys on their quest for the ultimate candy stash. Plus, I thought I might actually get some use out of this house dress  or muumuu. I've noticed they are starting to become popular again. Mostly vintage styles. I thought perhaps it might be nice to have one for some of these horribly hot summer days, or to throw on after a swim! So fashionable and so practical.

Here I am in my purple house dress on Halloween.
 The somewhat frightening thing, (I use that word because Halloween is frightening and all) as I walked around with the trick-0r-treaters, I began noticing people just smiling at me with that kind of look. You know,  the "is that her costume or is she just wearing her HOUSE DRESS?" kind of look. Nobody said..."Ha, nice costume!" 
Or..."Where'd you get that nice house dress girl?"
Not even..."Your house dress has pockets?"
Halloween was fun. My nieces neighborhood is top on the list of "good trick-or-treating". Lots of cute costumes and loads of treats. And now back home, my house dress is hanging in the closet, where all lovely purple house dresses should be.

Last week, I got an e-mail from my sister. I did the LOL that is so popular now. If you aren't up on trends...LOL is a texting phrase that means... Laugh Out Loud. And that is what I did. Her e-mail, about a conversation with her husband, went like this.

Karen: "I wonder how Norma is enjoying her house dress."
Mark: " Norma has a house guest?"

L   O   L !

The next morning, Chuck and I were enjoying our breakfast out on the back patio. I was noticing the flowers along the back fence. It is still hard for me to grasp the seasons here and see this much green at this time of year.  The roses are blooming once again, the pink oleander is lovely and the purple and orange lantana is in full bloom. As I sat looking at this exact view and making an observation, I lifted my right hand and did a left to right swooping motion.





                                 Me: "The purple lantana sure is filling in nicely."
                                Chuck: after very long silence with a blank stare towards the yard...
                                         "What are you talking about?"
                                 Me: making the hand swooping motion once again...
                                          "The purple lantana. It's filling in and growing nicely."
                                Chuck: "Oh, I thought you said 'That purple antenna is filling in nicely!'
                        and I was thinking... what purple antenna? Did the neighbors install an antenna?"

And that is all we need to say about that.


So this morning, I see this post on Rachel's Facebook. I had to LOL once again.
       
 *Went to kitchen for a snack, poured myself some grape juice.. Hear something from the living room. 

me: "What'd you say Jane? Brain Break?! YES!"
Jane: "No CRANGRAPE"


Your Thursday LOL moment because there is nothing else to say.

Laugh Out Loud







No comments:

Post a Comment