Wednesday, February 5, 2014

winter in our yard

I know that so many people are experiencing a very cold, very icy and extremely snowy winter this year but, we have had an unusually mild one thus far. The temperatures have been mostly above normal, which, really doesn't really make it seem winter at all. 
Honestly, I do miss the snow. I miss the quiet whisper that a midnight snowfall produces. I miss the crunch of snow under my feet as I walk to the mailbox. I miss the way the snow sparkles and mists as it spirals in the wind. I miss the way it makes pretty puffy blankets on the long dried-up stalks of summer blossoms. That's the part I miss.
Our yard is a real contrast to the snowy yard we once had. This one lacks the ten inch icicles hanging from the roof eaves. The knee deep drifts against the side of the garage. The patterns of foot prints around the yard. The ice packed back porch steps just calling us to slip and fall. The piles of snow just waiting to be shoveled. 
This yard is in bloom. Full of color.

Poppies! I spotted this plant at the grocery store the other day. We had poppies in Colorado, so I thought I'd see if one would last here. Every other person I passed in the store eyed the plant in my cart and asked me what it was. And every single person said..."will that live here?" We'll see.


Pansies!

Aloe blossoms.

Lavender.

Aloe blossom up close.

  Great nesting material on the palm tree, don't you think?

 Something yellow that makes Chuck sneeze.

You can't see him, but our resident owl is back.

A sign that our orchid tree has come back to life after freezing two winters ago.

There are a few bushes and trees that actually do look wintery.

A closer look of the aloe.

 Lemons!

 If I knew the name I would tell you.

This cactus is called the fire stick plant. Aptly named. The red gets more or less vibrant depending on the temperatures. It looks its very best right now.

  This is a shrimp plant.  Another good name.



"Well Norma, it's so strange to see a tour of your yard without seeing a creature, great or small, creepy or furry, cute or scary!"

You are right. And other than the owls...I haven't seen much. Perhaps it is because the owls are making dinner out of everything else!!

Evidence. A direct path down from the tree above...this little gem.

                                                          And these. Owl pellets.


                      I can't leave this yard tour like that. Here is something a little more pleasant.

So, that is what our yard looks like in February. Not very wintery as we know winter to be.

But be that it may... I'm not fearing the slippery roads or frozen nose hairs!

Happy Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the warmth and color! Pretty brown, white, and gray around my house. Freezing In Plano!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On second thought...not so "pretty," if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in a lull between freezing cold and forecasted rain, so we spent about 4 hours trimming oak trees, picking up and dragging limbs and cutting wood for the firewood stack. I spent about 45 minutes in a hot lavender epsom soak afterward. You are surrounded by beautiful color! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete