Saturday evening, we decided to walk to the Basilica De Santa Maria. We weren't sure how late it stayed open, although it seemed as though many of the churches were open late into the evening for visits. We followed the narrow streets, getting somewhat distracted from our destination, by all the interesting things to look at and take photographs. Just so much to see! We made it up the street and came around the corner to see the beautiful Basilica.
Gorgeous. Ornately gorgeous, as the sun was casting its glow and the shadows from the building across the street danced across the facade. We had only seconds to look at it as a fancy Land Rover turned the corner into the plaza and parked. A very handsome Spaniard in a suit with tails stepped out and walked over to a few people that were waiting in the plaza. Hugs and cheek kisses went all around just as a small car pulled up the narrow street and turned in front of us as into the plaza as well. Two of the men, including the handsome Spaniard immediately went over to the car and opened the back door.
She looked almost regal.
Most of the men had tails with their tuxes and many of the women wore hats.
It really was so special to see everyone dressed so nicely for a wedding.
Guests were gathering.
Hugs and cheek kisses for everyone! We learned quickly, when meeting Leah's friends, that a cheek kiss to one side and then the other was the custom. Look at the guy in the middle with the long hair! It's ok that I can comment on his attractiveness...Chuck agreed... there were some beautiful people in Spain...men and women!
I zoomed in on the mother with the mantilla. So pretty!
The woman with the big hat in the doorway looked pretty stunning. The pheasant feathers on her hat were the best accessory. For other accessory lovers out there....notice the woman in the purple dress. A bit of turquoise accenting her hat to coordinate with her handbag. And, I'm sure you noticed the back view of the mantilla lace. Now you can understand my audible gasp when she exited the car!
Another pretty hat on the woman in the middle. And if you are keeping track...the groom is all the way over on the right. Look at that handbag! This whole group is so coordinated!
I just had to add this photo, zoomed in. Notice all her accessories?
We decided to switch sides when there was a lull in the arrivals. We joined the group at the top of the stairs. Guests were really rushing to get there, I think they were a little late at this point. This is when I started to wonder if perhaps the bride was not inside where we would assume she would be. I was so hoping that we might be lucky enough to see her. There were a few young women dressed more conservatively in black. I could tell they were the wedding coordinators. I could also tell that they were starting to look a little concerned. They were hustling people inside and constantly looking at their watches. This could only mean one thing... bride?
This couple rushed up the stairs and she was wasting no time getting herself inside. The people at the restaurant right on the plaza had the best view of all. They were sipping wine while watching the extravaganza!
This was only older couple that we saw. If they were the grandparents, someone should have given them a car ride to the plaza!
This couple rushed up the stairs and were quickly escorted inside. I didn't get a picture of the back of her coat but it was lovely. A bow adorned the back. She was so classy with dress pants and that silk coat. I was trying to conserve my photo taking because during these last shots, my camera battery warning was blinking!! Just as the wedding coordinators had everyone inside and the plaza was just filled with bystanders...we hear a booming voice from below. I don't know what he was saying, but he was shouting out in a singing voice and waving to people on the streets. I looked over the wall...
and saw the father-of-the-bride escorting her through the street!
I was struck by how simply beautiful she looked. It was not what I expected with the mother wearing the mantilla, I somehow thought perhaps she would have something similar. But this was just very princess bride-like. So pretty!
The back of her dress and her plaited hair. Gorgeous. I loved her flowers too. I also loved that her dad was speaking quietly to her as they walked by.
They stopped in front of the doors for one last pause and to drop the back of her dress.
I can only imagine the picture the photographer got at this moment.
I love the quietness of this photo.
And then they slipped inside.
To my amazement, so did many of the people who were standing outside. The bystanders. So I walked over too. I thought, "when in Rome...do as the Romans." Sure, we were in Spain, but I figured it applied. Everyone was standing at the back. I stood at the doorway and I really felt a bit intrusive, so I held up my arm over the heads of those in front and snapped off a few photos. Two or three to be exact and then my camera died. The battery held up just long enough. The organs were playing beautifully and the priest was just coming to the alter where the bride and groom were kneeling.
Isn't that just gorgeous?!
Later in our trip, while visiting a cathedral in Barcelona, I was marveling at all its incredible beauty. A woman that had been taking tickets for a tour was standing near me. I went over and asked her a question and then I asked if they ever held weddings. She said "oh yes, every weekend". Many each weekend in fact. She went on to explain how they drop the chandeliers and add flowers and how they light all the side sconces and add candles and flowers to the aisles. It all sounded so pretty. Then she told me I could come to one. She said they never close the churches, basilicas or cathedrals to the public. That explains why we were seeing people going in, occasionally, to the basilica in Alicante while the guests were arriving. I thought people were just being bold. We were not in Barcelona over the next weekend. Enjoying the arrival of this wedding was good enough for me. It was exciting to have just stumbled upon something so special.
Just married!
What an exciting find!
ReplyDelete