A year ago I ran across the bottom half of a cabinet that I thought would make a great re-do...a before pic would have been a good idea but, after storing it in the garage for a year, I just got at it one day and forgot. Kind of like I forgot to take before pictures of this shed space that we have that was a catch all for anything and everything related to gardening... and then some. When I bought the cabinet, I wasn't sure if I would paint it up and haul it down to the shop where I had my space, but now just do a few consignments, or do something else with it. The 'else' won out and after pondering, I decided a nice make-over in the garden shed is where this cabinet needed to live. We started it somewhere near the end of February...when the temperatures were wonderful and not like now... which is less than wonderful and down right hot!
The top of this structure had fabric shades when we moved in...it disintegrated from the heat some time ago. We had some extra sheets of corrugated metal that the previous owners had left over from other projects on the pool shed roof and the roof by the studio. So, I decided to have Chuck cover just half of the area to protect some of the things from sun and weather, but leave part open for growing some plants.
This will be the open side with the trough that was there. It is good for starting some of the agave babies that we will eventually plant elsewhere. And when the weather cools off...an herb garden.
As we were working on this project, I spotted this adorable little welcome frog in a shop in Bisbee and thought it would be a perfect addition....I kind of like it!
Its a little dark in the shade, but he is right there at the doorway to welcome you in!
Better light...showing off this beauty too! I spotted it at a really great junk/antique, my-kind-of-place shop along the road while passing through Tombstone during our Bisbee trip. I usually love my sale picking prices, but had to spend the retail price on this one...WORTH it in my opinion!
It fits this spot perfectly!
Here is a shot from a distance as we first finished the roof and before I had the old water jug. This space has changed often already as plants have changed and I've moved things around. That was the idea behind the space...my little potting shed and a place to hold some treasures. Things will come and go, as I may just have things in a holding zone, until I take them down to sell and... as plants thrive and bake! This just in...
MY PLANTS ARE LITERALLY FLASH BAKING RIGHT NOW!
We've had this cutie for several years. A local artist made the sculpture and with all its rusted glory...it makes a nice little something to look up and see when you're out there. A bird atop an ice block tong!
A garden rake collection...as I've been hunting and picking I find them here and there. The big circle piece was something that was out in the pasture in our Colorado home. We love that we have a few of the old farm pieces here in this yard!
Speaking of Colorado, I collected a few old window frames with my good friend Lori. She loves the good stuff as much as me! We hung this one up under the roof. This is the view from the outside...
...and from the inside looking out!
The metal birds were found at the Morton Arboretum in Chicago last fall. They are laser cut from rusty metal. Always a theme in my life! Tetanus shots are up to date...don't worry! Do you see gigantor back there through the window? He's still there, leaning like the Pisa!
Please note the spider plant above. I started a small one that has grown huge since we have been here. I've rooted the babies over and over again and have multiple large plants on the patios. I gave one to a friend a couple of years ago and she now has many huge plants. This one was just started...It doesn't matter how hot, or if I forget to water...they hang in and grow like crazy! Leah has started some up in her apartment and if any of you readers come to visit...be sure to take a baby home in a baggie! It is the one plant that always grows and grows, no matter the temperature here, winter or summer!
More Colorado farm goodies!
And now my cabinet. The base was re-painted, sanded with multiple coats of color and a couple of coats of Spahr outdoor waterproof varnish. I know the top will chip and peel, but I will just sand periodically and add more varnish. The beauty of this is that I'm good with it weathering and aging. I added some old spindles from an old bed that I found for "parts" and put a shelf on top with a weathered piece of wood that I "picked for cheap". It's a good looking potting bench and a functional place for storing pots and such! Oh, and it works for potting plants and I like not having to bend over so much!
A closer look.
And a change-up of what's sitting on top. Be advised that my basil no longer looks like this.
This little wood cubbie piece came from my gardening-inspiration-friend in Colorado. It found a home Jeanne!! The spring, is another picking find which perfectly holds a 'cactus boot'. When the cactus wrens peck a hole in the big Saguaro cactus...the cactus itself forms a scar, if you will. This is where the wrens lay their eggs. Supposedly, other birds then take over the home and the wrens move on to make a new hole. Some of these boots are gigantic. We were lucky enough to have some in our great old Saguaro that unluckily fell a few years ago. This one makes a good little holder for hawk feathers we find around the yard.
I just picked up this ceramic bird house on a trip through Prescott when I went to watch Rachel's bike race. It has pretty a blue painting on it. I decided under the shade would be best to keep it from fading. it's hanging by the window frame with the little birds.
Just a peak of pink and a cool old heavy chain...for now it is just hanging in the doorway... at some point it may find another spot with a greater use.
These pink beauties looked so pretty for a couple of months in the basket above the welcome sign and water spigot can thing. Thats what I'm calling it...not positive what it's original purpose was. The flower? Toasted and gone now.
I put the soil in this can... so much easier to manage than the bag. I transfer it to the pail and mix with water then up on the cabinet to plant my pots! And yes Bob, I do strategically leave the dirt crusted gloves on top of the can...it's all in the placement and presentation!! Ha!
I picked this 1940's book up at a yard sale. It wasn't marked with a price...I asked the man (who I bought some minerals for my teacher daughter) what the price was?...he said "do you like to garden?" I said "Yes, I do". He said.."It's yours for free!" and then he gave me a tour of his back yard. When I spotted a Magnolia tree, he was so surprised that I knew what it was. He said no one has ever been able to name it. I told him we have one in our yard which surprised him even more. He showed me more of his rocks and minerals ...told me he was a retired geologist...and teacher...and landscape designer...and was a very sweet and very interesting man. Part of what I like about yard sales is meeting some very nice people and I love chatting with them. Especially the older ones. There have been times that I've spent my allotted "picking" time visiting with people and hearing their stories.
You may notice that some of these items have moved around in the different pictures. That has been the funnest part of this little space of mine...changing it up and playing with the plants!
Evidence of how things have moved around over the last few months....these things have been in several spots already. The Butterfly house was a Mother's Day gift many years ago. Hand painted, I think, by a Colorado artist.
Feel free to visit it and me sometime. Good news...no creatures out there...yet.
Happy gardening in your neck-of-the-woods!
Not quite tomorrow yet! I enjoyed my tour.
ReplyDeleteGreat job renovating the shed! Now jump in the pool.
ReplyDelete