Jay is Rachel's boyfriend.
Jay likes to run and run... fast.
Rachel likes to run and is learning to run far.
She doesn't like to run as fast.
But they like to run up and down mountains.
This is the view from one of the mountains they like to run up and down often.
It's called South Mountain, in Phoenix.
Here is Rachel running with a smile. This is desert trail running in the best possible way. Best because of the views. The terrain seems tough. The heat can only be awful this time of year. I always worry about rattle snakes. We hear of people hiking trails getting struck by them, so it is always my concern that she will come across one. Especially when she goes off on her own. Me no likey.
She is training for a marathon, which is roughly a 26 mile race. She will run it on (or about) her 26th birthday, which is the 26th of July. it will be in Silverton, Colorado. Pretty awesome huh?
Here is Jay. He trains and runs a lot and will be running a 100 mile race in Leadville, Colorado in a few weeks. One hundred miles. Did I mention he runs a lot?
Jay texted: "Met this guy on the trail today. Thought of you!"

I said something like..."A desert tortoise!!! Chuck will be so jealous! "
We have seen every other creature that live here in Arizona. We've actually been lucky enough to see things that many people haven't seen while living here their whole life. You know I say "lucky" with a little reservation...you'll remember that tarantula night!!!
This is the desert creature that Chuck most wants to see. After seeing these photos Jay sent, I can see that we have probably walked right by one and never saw it. He is very camouflaged with this surroundings.
Jay didn't see it... he heard it.
Here are his words he texted to me about how it all happened:
"I encountered him around mile 10 of an 18 mile run, (ok...are we all saying really? 18 miles?) up towards the top of South Mountain near the towers. He hissed as I ran by. I actually woud've never known he was there if not. I believe I startled him going by. (well sure Jay, I imagine a slow tortoise like him rarely sees or hare's a runners feet zooming by). So, I stopped to see what made the hiss, expecting to see a snake. I looked around the back side of a rock and there he was! He went in his shell a bit, but let me take pics of him. Never moved and was in the same spot when I took off. Probably a 90 second encounter."
He said it was about as big as a soccer ball! I think they can grow to be pretty huge.
Hello big guy!
Here they are on top of a mountain. Based on the snow I think this was a Colorado run. Well Jay, I know turtle neck sweaters are a good clothing choice in the winter, but what exactly do you call this hoodie? Not to compare you to the tortoise.... you're too fast for that. But...your hoodie? Ha!
Rachel was jumping for joy on one of her recent runs. Awesome photo!!
Keep on running. Watch out for snakes. The views are incredible! But, keep your eyes open to all the beauty the desert has to offer! And good luck to both of you on your upcoming runs. Most especially for the golden birthday in Silverton!!








Best of luck to Rachel and Jay with their running endeavors. 26 years...26 miles! Wow!
ReplyDeleteI love the tortoise too!