Sunday, February 28, 2010

it rained cats and dogs

I hate to focus on all the rain we are getting since moving to the desert, but last night it rained again! This time there was a fair amount of wind along with it, which made it extra loud. Speaking of loud noises, the coyotes were howling up a storm just after dark. Get it? Howling up a storm! It rained all night and continued throughout the morning, clearing up this evening to allow the sun to shine and present a very beautiful sunset. We like those sunsets.

Yesterday, while at the grocery store, the clerk told me some people were complaining about the rain and saying that it was like being in Seattle. The lady behind me spoke up and said, "It is like being in Seattle!" She was a little grumpy and had a heavy east coast accent, nothing against people from the east coast...it just led me to believe she was a visitor. There are a lot of visitors & part time residents this time of year. I think we see more out of state license plates in this area than in state plates.
For visitors or part time residents (even newbies like us) the rain is a bit of a surprise when you are expecting moderate, desert-like weather. For people that have lived here awhile, the rain is a welcome sight. It is certainly greening things up and will probably bring more blossoms to the plants than normal. As I said, it was still raining this morning when I got up. As I pulled open the blinds I had quite a surprise. The little guy that was staring back at me was surprised too! He was enjoying his little spot out of the rain. I ran to grab my camera and by the time I got back he was gone from his little dry spot. I looked out all the windows and then...I spotted this:

The first photo was taken from our bedroom window and that is exactly how I saw him sitting on the brick wall. I went to the front door to try to get a different view. Leah was already up so she was peeking out the little window with me. She tapped on the door a few times to see if he would look our way...
Yep... he did.
Rachel had spotted a pair of them about a week ago when she went out in the morning, but I had not seen any until now. I'm a little surprised about this variety in wildlife we are seeing here. And I'm wondering about some of them... visitor or resident? I'm thinking I would like most of them to be visitors.
"Hello bobcat!"

I told you it was raining cats and dogs.

2 comments:

  1. You are so clever!

    We are getting rain here, too. Last night we had a coyote howling before the rain came. So, howling up a storm here, too. It rained all day according to one who actually sees out windows during the day. I was surprised when I came out of work at almost 5 and found that it had turned into winter again after a balmy spring-like day Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto for the rain all day in Plano, too, except that the dog and cat here stayed in all day.

    ReplyDelete