Monday, November 22, 2010

have's on the list

We moved to Arizona and I started a blog. This one. My intentions for this blog were never to highlight wildlife as often as I do. But, that seems to be the highlight (I say that rather kiddingly)of our time here so far. It goes without saying that we were warned...we MIGHT see a few of the wild, creepy, creatures that inhabit this great desert. Javelina, Gila Monsters, Rattle Snakes, Bull Snakes, King Snakes, Scorpions, Coyote and Bob Cats were on the list of "might sees". But very rarely are most of them ever seen and as I have quoted here before, "I have lived here for 20 years and have never seen a gila monster"(pronounced hee-la) or "I've never seen a rattle snake and I've lived here all my life." or "I've heard of people seeing javelina before." (pronounced have-a-lina) Well, we have-a-lina alright. And a few other haves too. Today, I am updating you on the check-off list, because I think we have officially, checked them all off. All of these have been either in or around our backyard. Really.

Rattle Snake. The one I almost stepped on and found out how quickly I could jump. Check.
King Snake. The one's that I found out were eating all of the Quail eggs. Check.
The Javelina. They are ugly creatures, with or without my glasses. Check.
The Bob Cats. The cats that I believe are no longer visitors but residents. Check.
Lizards. Lots of them. Check.
Gila Monsters. We have seen two. This one and the one in our garage. Check.
Rhino. Oh just kidding. We saw him at the zoo.
Scorpions. Yep, I can now check it off our list. The last thing on the list that I have been warned about. Thankfully, I did not find it in my shoe like my dear brother-in-law has warned (scared) me about. This one was in the bathroom sink the other night. Oh yay. Check.

We hear the Coyote every night and see them around the neighborhood while driving. I have yet to get a picture of one. And then there are all the birds and bugs too.

I have checked my list and I am done checking!

2 comments:

  1. Since you have checked the list twice, makes me wonder if you have been naughty or nice. That comes from already hearing Christmas carols at the stores and seeing the Grinch on TV yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your sense of humor, dear sister.
    A rhino? seriously....

    ReplyDelete