After our recent snowfall and our snowmen making fun ( click here to read about it)...
She decided long boarding was the way to go. I decided to keep my feet firmly planted on the ground. The hills in our neighborhood are perfect for the long board. A beginner she is, but she has skills. Cautious skills.

We traveled through roads we have been on before, but were keeping our eyes open "to see new things". That is the motto... see something you haven't seen before. Here was the first thing we saw that we hadn't noticed before. This big saguaro that looked as if it was a hand reaching up towards the sky. See, the thumb on the left and the other fingers on the right as if it is reaching up to grab the sunlight.
Speaking of sunlight, cue the singing long board angels, how pretty are the rays streaming down from the sky?
And then we saw this. I hadn't seen one of these before. It is a
Joshua Tree. (Click it if you want to learn more.)
I thought it was so interesting that the bottom of the tree actually looks like a real tree trunk. But the top, or "leafy" part definitely looks like a yucca plant. There really are a lot of fascinating, bordering on strange, plants(and animals) in this state. I keep remembering the advice I got when we were moving here. "Embrace the desert beauty." So, you know what? I am. I think the Joshua tree is quite unique and beautiful with its puff-like spikes on top of a tree trunk.
Also beautiful, is the longboard girl standing in the rays of the sun on a cool morning after a rare snowfall in the desert.
I love the motto of seeing something you haven't seen before. We have become a society that has forgotten how to be present in the moment. Embracing the dessert and enjoying the beauty of new things seen is a great example for all of us.
ReplyDeleteI love embracing "dessert" too! Hot apple pie. Hot fudge sundae. Any kind of cookies. But I don't like how they embrace my middle.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to keep my eyes open on my walks around here to see if I can see something new. We take our surroundings for granted.