Tuesday, September 13, 2011

lately

We are enjoying some cooler temperatures, especially at night. We have actually been able to sleep with the air conditioner off and the windows open. This morning it was 74 degrees! Ahhh.  It will still reach the triple digits this afternoon, but I'll take the cooler nights and mornings.                                      
We have actually gotten some much needed rain. The thunder and lightning at night has been pretty impressive. I hope this rain moves to our neighbors to the east. Texas desperately needs rain.
These three hummingbirds have been very busy at this feeder. They fight with each other for drinking rights even though there is plenty of room for all of them. I prefer watching the feathered friends over the spiders, snakes and the other four legged creatures out there.

Three different afternoons, in the last couple of scorching hot days, I was out watering the flowers around the patio. As I was holding the hose out with the shower attachment on, one of the hummingbirds came right up to the water. It hovered close and drank from the shower spray! It actually stayed for quite some time, just inches from me. It was so interesting to watch it flutter its wings so quickly while getting a drink. I was very surprised to see it the first time and thought it must be very thirsty to come that close to me. It was exciting.



The Hummingbirdby Jody Hildreth
With hyper wings
In mid-air hung
To sip sweet nectar
With brush-tipped tongue.


Happy tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Actually read an article titled "Fantastic Feathers" with a student today. Hummingbirds flap their wings 50 times per second. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete