Tuesday, September 18, 2012

sing it


 Last Saturday, the Reptile Wrangler and I went to a vintage market. "La Laaa"!  There were plenty of old goods to see and some of those goods were pretty... old. There were a lot of old things re-purposed into new things, which is a trend right now and something that sparks my creative side. You know... reduce, reuse, recycle.  I'm a lover of rusted metal, chippy wood and worn out paper. So, I had plenty to look at. We (I) only bought a few things as I was there mostly to look. While I was browsing in one small booth, the Wrangler spotted something in another booth and managed to make the purchase without me noticing. As we were walking back to the car, he pulled it out of the bag and said "here, I bought something for you."


An old book. That was the first nifty thing about his purchase because I enjoy old books. A red book at that and I do love the color red. The second nifty thing was the fact that my name was on the cover! 


It is the Opera Norma by Vincenzo Bellini. Now, my name IS Norma but I never knew there was an opera with that very name, nor have I ever heard of Vincenzo Bellini. But just how nifty is that? 
"Pretty nifty", she sings in a soprano voice. Wait...you're saying "You sing?" 
Only when you can't hear me.

I checked Wikipedia to see who Vincenzo was. (Click his highlighted name if you want to read about him). A pretty good guess was confirmed; an Italian Opera composer. I thought I might have to have my Italian mother-in-law read the words for me to see what this is about.


And, I still might have her translate some of it, but I did further looking and discovered, like most opera's, this one is sad. Not that I'm an opera expert, in fact, it's not my favorite music, but aren't most of them tragic or sad?  So, if you want to read about Norma the Opera , click on it.


And then I went to i Tunes and searched for the opera. Guess what? Lots of selections. Who knew?  I purchased one of the songs for .99 cents, with the hopes of embedding it here for all of you to hear. Well, at least for the two Italian sisters that I know who might enjoy it. But alas, without college girl1 here to help me out, I wasn't able to do it.  I think you might have enjoyed it... or possibly thanked me for not having the skills needed to share. Either way, this opera book is pretty neat and I'm thinking a certain nephew of mine just might have to play it on the piano for me some time. Would that make your special request list? Would that make your day?

Reptile Wrangler made mine when he surprised me with the find of the day!

Now, just imagine my name belted out in a soprano opera singing voice . Go ahead, try it and roll the r just a bit. I dare you to keep it stuck in your head all day.

It's been in mine.

1 comment:

  1. Special book find, favorite flower surprise, who is this guy?

    ReplyDelete