It has rained here for two days. Lovely, soaking rain. It brought the temperature down enough to open the doors and windows for a few hours during the day.
Yesterday, I pulled out my rain jacket and an umbrella and walked around in the down pour.
Because, you know how nice it is to walk in the rain sometimes. And you know, here in Arizona, when it rains...it usually really rains. I mean really. Lots and lots of rain. What had been just a nice even shower, turned into a down pour which then became a downright deluge for a couple of hours.
So much rain with nowhere to go. The desert ground can't soak it up, so it just puddles and flows to lower areas. It kept getting deeper and deeper around my toes.
It was somewhat refreshing as the temperature cooled off just a bit. Although, rain in the desert has an interesting smell. Not fresh and rain-like but rather...stinky... in my opinion. Sorry Arizonans. If you have never smelled rain in the mountains you have missed out. Maybe this scent has something to do with all the interesting, creepy, creatures that make the desert their home. The welcome relief of the rain certainly outshines the fact that it doesn't smell so great. But, I did enjoy being out in it!
The pool water level actually rose a couple of inches over the course of the day. That's a lot of rain!
The washes down at the bottom of our driveway were running pretty fast. I'm certainly glad we live at the top of the hill!
There were flash flood warnings out for many parts of the city. And flooding through the big washes can be a real problem when it rains this hard.
It was getting pretty deep on the front patio.
I decided I would catch some of the rain for watering my plants next week when it is all hot and dry again. That trash can filled up in less than 10 minutes. Lots and lots of rain!
The trees, plants and even the cactus are all singing their delight this morning! Their thirst has been quenched and they are ready to be green and lovely again. Just in time for fall. You know, when leaves are suppose to turn colors and drop to the ground. These beauties are gearing up for a fresh new growth spurt and bloom after being dry and parched all summer.
Today looks like it will be another day like the last two. Doors and windows open.
Bring it on!
As for me....I'm still trying to catch up after being gone so much this summer. I did finally unpack my suitcase.
That was an accomplishment.
Rain, rain,
ReplyDeleteCome this way
Texas terrain
Is dry and gray.