Wednesday, September 25, 2013

my cafe

When our kiddos were younger and had not yet been exposed to college dorm food, they thought that I (and their Dad) should open our own restaurant. Besides the obvious...ok, so I let them think my cooking was worthy of its own dining establishment... we never could settle on a name for that said restaurant.  And now...besides the fact that the kids have been enjoying finer dining experiences... they will be disappointed to know that  someone already did it. 
I can't open my own restaurant with my name anymore. Darn it.

But...they did it with the motto that I love to live by.

Oh ya baby!


This sweet little cafe is in Plano, Texas. It's not far from where mom has just moved. Conveniently, it's very close to my sister's house as well. She took me to this cute little diner one day while we were out looking for shelving options for Mom's new laundry room. Normally, when I look over a menu, I like to glance at the desserts first, to gauge what kind of "entree" I might be interested in. As in, I should eat a bit lighter 'cuz I'm really interested in dessert. I have a friend from Colorado who has this same philosophy... we have the perfect "dining-out" relationship. And now, to find a restaurant touting my name AND basically telling me my life will be short if I don't have dessert...well, you get the idea.

Not only did I look at the dessert items on the menu, with my sister's encouragement...I went over to the  dessert counter to check out the pies! See if you can guess which one we chose. (we did share just one)

 Please note, the menu says "since 1958", loooong before I was born.

I chose a good classic cheeseburger with fries. I wanted to keep with my "eat light because you're having dessert" plan!  I thought about the Monterey Chicken, but the size just didn't seem to go with that plan either. And the fact that I have a major dis-like of mushrooms! Except for that fun guy* I'm married to. I like him.

eNORMAus! Clever...why didn't I think of that?


It was a great lunch and I'm sure that I will be back there again.

In case you want to know... we split an eNORMAus slice of lemon meringue pie!

Did you guess correctly?

NORMAlly, I would go for something chocolate, you're right.



* fungi =mushrooms *fun guy=husband

Post edit: My sister has clarified that "we crossed the city line while driving that day. The cafe is really in Frisco, not Plano." A normal mistake made by someone who isn't familiar with the area.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, we get to go. We are bringing dessert back to Helen's to celebrate our birthdays today, seeing we are so close to both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, Mark and I ate dinner at the diner and bought a whole coconut cream pie to take home to share at Helen's. We sang Happy Birthday and ate half the pie. Then the next day, we ate the rest of the pie. Bye-bye pie! Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious pie! I actually ate mine before my supper. Eat dessert first, right?

    ReplyDelete