Thursday, January 8, 2015

pasta for Christmas


Many years ago, Rachel got a pasta machine for Christmas. The kind that rolls the dough into thin sheets and then cuts the dough into "noodles". A wooden drying rack came with it and we used it once to make delicious fettuccine. Once. The only reason I can think of, as to why we never did it again after the first time, was because it seemed like a big ordeal. Maybe it was the fact that the kids were all pretty young and for me opening a box of spaghetti was just a little easier. An unfortunate reason.

This Christmas, since we had all day to wait for Chuck to get off work to start our Christmas celebration, and since the kids are no longer young, I thought it might be a fun thing to do. So, I pulled the two boxes out of the garage, made the homemade sauce with a variety of meats (thank-you to my Italian mother-in-law for teaching me that skill) and let it simmer for most of the afternoon. When it was time to get the pasta noodles going I handed out aprons (Austin got the Thanksgiving apron!) and said "you guys are in charge!"

They did it.




They even made a high speed video.



It was delicious. We will do this again and I'm only sorry that I didn't keep it up after the very first time, oh probably fifteen years ago.

Thanks to Rachel, Austin and Leah for working together to make us such a special Christmas dinner!

It was a treat!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun project! Looks like something you should do more often, especially when you can get others to do it. Now it's time to pass on the sauce recipe. This can be the go-to recipe when you go to visit their houses eventually.

    ReplyDelete