I know it is a bit before Thanksgiving and even more so before Christmas but, as I mentioned earlier and as some of you know...I landed a pretty cool job at a very nice privately owned home furnishings store. They turn the store into a Christmas Wonderland each year. We started decorating in September and did so non-stop to get the whole store decked for the Open House that happened last Thursday through this past Tuesday. Five days of...crazy. Busy. It was beautiful and I honestly couldn't believe I had a hand in it. To hear all the compliments and see all the reactions was very rewarding. Early Thursday morning, we were all standing around Paul the Christmas Magician(owner), as I have named him, getting our job duties and pep talk before the doors were to open (ladies were lined up outside already) and my eyes took a fast look around and I was amazed. When he said "ok, lets go"...I actually felt a lump in my throat and my eyes watered a tad. This was so much work ( and I didn't even know what was about to happen) but, I was proud of everything moment, of every ache and pain in my body ( I have the heating pad on my hip as I type this), every piece of glitter that sparkled on my body each night when I went home and of each tree I took from its naked self to its fully dressed, illuminated self. These two guys plan for a whole year and have all of the pieces so completely organized, from the warehouse, to the side patio, to the waiting tree inside... it is literally a fined tuned work of art. I'm amazed.
This is a small portion of how it would look after it came off the truck each morning. They picked up a big load early each morning and would have it all waiting for us. This was one of my piles for a small tree. Here is where it would start. They would tell me the theme name and I would open each box to see what I was working with and then it was go time. Because the store had limited walking space around each tree area and the store was still open through the process, we had to work from outside, carrying only part of it in at a time.
The stuff in these boxes is for the tree called Snow Angel.
I did not get a before photo of this tree but...here it is completed.
These ornaments are glass and quite pretty. So, when I say glass I really mean "I hope I don't drop you" ornaments. A only dropped about three the entire time I was decorating all the trees. A pretty good record, considering the hundreds I put on the trees.
These two trees are Jolly Joe. The ornaments were very thin mercury glass and very tricky to hook into the tree. This is how the trees were when I started. Already lit...already to be beautified.
I managed to remember to snap a mostly before of this one...
After.
Fragile mercury glass snowmen.
Here is Carrot Nose.
The pile of boxes was huge and some of the items were even more huge. It looked daunting at first and most of it wasn't my cup-of-tea, but it ended up being one of my favorites. It was someone else's favorite too as the entire tree (less 30% of the decoration) sold within a couple of days after I finished it. The entire tree. (Remember, this is still back in October). So, the tree was undecorated, thankfully on my day off, and I got to do it all over again on a smaller tree with the extra 30% ornaments. As an added note here: I just found out yesterday that I will be going to the clients home today to re-create the first tree.
This tree and all the snowman around it has continued to be a favorite. I have to add here that so much started selling as we were decorating that we could hardly keep up with "damage control", while still doing the new trees. Did I mention yet that there were 49 trees besides all the garlands and decor throughout the store? Forty. Nine.
Snowy Owl. I did the one on the left and had a helper with the one on the right. Most everything sold off of these pretty quickly and what little was left on the tree on the left sold on Tuesday. Tree and all. So it is now gone as of yesterday.
I didn't do these trees, the theme was called Mushrooms and Acorns. Although I didn't get a full photo, they were so pretty and I really love the deer. Each one unique with different fabric patterns.
And this. This is Mimi. When they spotted her at the buying show they thought she looked a lot like Miriam who works the front register. Miriam is quirky and stylish and has glasses much like these. So, after they texted her a photo to be sure she wasn't offended with their purchase...they brought her back and called her Mimi. It is the name that Miriam's nieces and nephews call her. She was a huge hit and a fun novelty to the traditional Holiday decoration.
So, I learned about a collectible item that is quite popular. They are Mark Robert's fairies and elves. People go crazy over them each year and collect the newest year model as soon as they come in. There is one whole tree devoted to the elves, with the Mark Robert's Santa figures in the foreground. The fabrics are beautiful and they are all very ornately decorated. Not my thing...but possibly cute in a creepy face kind of way?
It was a challenge to wire the candy cane ladders into the tree. My fingers were cut up and sore for a couple of days afterwards. We have to re-stock these trees at the end of each day as so many have sold. Mark Roberts was here one day of the Open House signing the hands of those people had purchased. It was a fairy frenzy that day!
Posing them was actually the best part of the whole thing.
THIS tree. It is Deck the Halls. It is the first tree as soon as you walk into the store. Several of us worked on it and I finished it up on Tuesday night last week. I was off on Wednesday and when I came in on Thursday they said the entire tree had sold. All 9,000 extra lights that were added and all. So much work went into it...I hope it gets taken down on my day off!
This is just a pretty ornament on one of the trees. I love these red velvet hydrangeas.
Santa's Helper. These little characters were some of my favorites to pose. They just have funny faces and I had a blast posing them in and around the tree.
This garland was over the fireplace by the Snowy Owl trees. It is lovely. I think you can see some of the many flying fairies that were hanging throughout the entire store. I say were....because so many of them are gone.
This area is Red Bird. A huge flock of red cardinals were everywhere. The photo does not do this display justice. It was just beautiful.
This big tree sits right by the check-out desk. It is "whatchya doin'?" Every glass ornament that you can imagine is on it....please take a zoom in and take a gander at all the different things on this tree. Something for every one!
Here is Gingerbread. It was a dripping candy confection. Bright colors and unexpected textures.
Around the corner from it...Sugar & Spice. All candies and sweets and Nutcrackers and more fairies.
Here is Relics. Primitive Santos and religious icons. So beautiful in person.
His Majesty. All royal and gilded. The lion has the most beautiful blue eyes!
Winter Ice. Birds and Icicles.
Starry Night. An artist friend made the moon for a wedding. They asked to borrow it for this corner. It's pretty incredible!
Ok...so that is the tour. This decorating has been fun, exhausting, rewarding, tiring, magical and more. To end the tour, I bring you Mimi... again... with her pet ostrich. I did not get a photo of Miriam...her likeness...BUT...this lady was in shopping on Tuesday.
She was being photographed by her friends. I asked if I could snap a photo too. Because....how could I NOT! Is this hilarious or what? She, evidently, dresses like this all the time. Her name is Betsy.
What a riot!
Ask me if I've taken down my very few Halloween decorations yet in my own house?
I need to put out my Thanksgiving.
And then my Christmas.
Merry Merry!
I want to add that I am so very thrilled that these guys hired me for this holiday season. I'm hoping to stay on in some capacity because I love this store and all the people are very unto work with! its been a huge treat!
Amazing! Awesome! Beautiful! Majestic! Wonderful! and Magical!
ReplyDeleteIs it possible to find any more adjectives to describe this sparkling, glittery place?! Love it!