Even though the temperature reached 85 yesterday and we have a few more days of warm weather predicted, it is almost Halloween.
When my kids were little, my very favorite thing for them to wear were overalls. Especially the Osh Kosh variety. They were perfect in a cold climate because I never had to worry about keeping their little bellies warm. No problem keeping a shirt tucked in with overalls. The striped ones were my favorite. We had one pair that were worn over and over again by our son. And guess what? They were the perfect hand-me-down for both girls. Add a little pink long sleeve tee and she was cute, cute, cute. My problem? When our youngest grew out of them I couldn't stand to part with this particular pair.
I stuffed the overalls and one of Austin's old flannel shirts with quilt batting. Tied the arms and legs with raffia. Painted a cute face on an old muslin dish towel and added one of our old straw hats to the top of his head. I use to tuck some of our leaves that would fall from the old cottonwood trees into the cuffs for little hands. This year he is leafless.
This guy sat on our porch in Colorado this time every year for ten years. The leaves would fall all around him. Sometimes I would even have to brush snow off of him. And one particular year, two little abandoned kittens found their way onto his lap. It was a cozy place for them to curl up and take a nap.
New to our display is this terra cotta pumpkin. Javelina proof. We were told that the little monster's love to eat pumpkins. So, since I don't want to traumatize my little scarecrow boy, (or myself) I'm not even going to put any outside.
Happy Halloween!
ReplyDeleteFound my Peeps.
Shawna couldn't find ghostly peeps for her cupcakes and had to settle for candy corn on top. She did put a little surprise white chocolate in the middle that made her friend think there were worm larvae in the cupcake. Really? We had a big Halloween with Carter being a very spooky swamp creature and Evan a Ninja turtle. Their neighborhood was flooded with trick or treaters. Within two hours we were out of candy and glow bracelets. I sat out on the front door mat in my (Tyler's) Buzz baseball costume (uniform) handing out candy and latching on bracelets. It was refreshing that all the visitors were polite and patient as they waited for their bracelets. We put about 285 bracelets on wrists. Mark and Evan were helping with the bracelets and Evan loved handing out candy. He doesn't trick or treat long himself, he rather enjoys helping at the door. If it was up to him he would give each a handful of candy. Hmmm, we could have been done before dark. Shawna fed us all a dinner of Mexican casserole and salad, at least all of us who were not full of candy. It was a good night.
ReplyDelete