Wednesday, November 30, 2011

the strange and unusual

Yesterday, I stumbled upon an antique store. It was very large and had a wide assortment of the usual things you find in antique stores. In the very back of the store I saw something that I would put into the unusual category of finds in an antique store. It was this painting:

"Well Norma, that is not so unusual"... you are saying to yourself. I know, Leonardo da Vinci, famous painting...why so unusual? Okay, what if I give you this view? 


Or this view?

This one? Are you with me now on the whole 'unusual' concept?

It was one of those things that I stared at for awhile, trying to decide if someone is trying to have  a sense of humor with their display. Or, if (because of the ladder) this is a work in progress and an artist is recreating the painting...'life' like.

 Having worked in the retail world quite some time ago, I can recognize these mannequin parts. I struggled with those hinges on the shoulders so many times to get them put together. Although, the ones I mostly dressed were womennquins. And, although the joint pieces look the same, I can see that they have made cuts and have re-pieced the elbows together to give them the arm positions that they want. And, the faces are pretty darn life like. Notice I said darn. Even though I'm not one to swear much, I sure wouldn't want to with this group. And what about this guy on the table, with his head on a block of wood?

While hanging out in the art department in college, I would see some pretty interesting final projects that the art majors would do. There was one with Barbies that was pretty strange. It kind of reminded me of this. You're not sure if you are suppose to laugh or say "that's strange". Or, "how nice...I wonder how it will look when it is finished". Or is it already finished? That's the crazy thing about art. Interpretation you know.

So, like I said, is this a weird display that someone put together to be funny? To get people's attention? Is it a work in progress for a different venue? Was it part of an auction lot that a dealer bid on and the men came with the paintings?

I'm really not sure.

I do know that I walked away feeling like it was a little strange. And unusual. And maybe a little creepy.

And then I put it out of my mind and started thinking about my drive home and what was I going to fix for... supper.

2 comments:

  1. That is a very unusual display. I think I would chalk it up to someone who likes to have fun and give people something to talk about. It certainly works on that level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should go back to the store over the next few weeks and track their progress.

    ReplyDelete