For my birthday, a couple of weeks ago, Rachel and Leah and I went to the Butterfly Wonderland here in Phoenix. It is one of my favorite places to visit and the first time I went, it was also my birthday. So, I'm thinking I might like to make it a tradition of spending the morning of my birthday there. That is, after my delicious breakfast in bed. We started that tradition a long time ago and this year I was lucky enough to have my two girls make me a delicious plate of french toast and fresh fruit. It was yummy!
At the Butterfly Wonderland, you first watch a 3-D movie about the Monarch Butterfly. It is so fascinating to see how many miles these butterflies cover through their life migration. One of their main stopping grounds is in Texas. The reason is milkweed. But, because land is scarce and building is becoming more plentiful, there is less and less milkweed growing in open fields. And, a weed of course, is not a real popular thing to have growing. I do know a few people that have some open land in Texas...if you don't mind a little milkweed...you will have lots and lots of monarch butterflies migrate through each year!
After the movie we entered the chrysalis room. There were rows and rows and racks and racks of 'active' chrysalis' waiting for the butterfly to emerge. It was beautiful and fascinating to see all the different types. Many of them were jiggling a bit, which meant that they were almost ready.
We got lucky! One emerged while we were there!! They dangle and stretch their wings while they are drying. Once the wings have dried and the new butterfly looks like it is ready to fly, they are removed and taken into the atrium room.
It is in this big tropical loveliness that all the magic begins. There are thousands of butterflies flying around you. If you are lucky enough, one might even land on you. It literally can bring tears to your eyes and a smile to your face. So, so, cool!
This one had emerged from its chrysalis before we had entered the room. It was still in its drying phase. It is so interesting!
You can see that it is definitely one that can blend in with its surroundings.
A view from below.
This one looked so delicate resting on the leaves of this fern.
Besides all the butterflies there were so many beautiful trees and flowering plants! This guy was certainly enjoying a sweet sip of nectar!
I loved the soft colors of this one against the vibrant green foilage.
In contrast, this one was so vibrant and a pretty compliment to the green.
Speaking of vibrant!
I liked this one just peeking over the edge. By the way...I didn't give you a "lots of photos" warning at the beginning of this post. So, fair warning....
X-rated, but what a pretty shot!
Many of the butterflies were so quiet and calm, just resting on a leaf or floating by your head. But some, ravenous for a sweet drink, never stopped their speedy wings. This guy was one of those. I watched him flutter over this flower for quite some time. His wings were moving at a very rapid speed. Notice his proboscis, or straw-like tongue, sipping the nectar.
Those legs!
This one is soft, quiet and posed perfectly. Notice its curled up proboscis.
This butterfly always amazes me. Its underside wings are very graphic, but the colors are very muted.
Looking closer though, you can see a hint of blue.
This little guy was fluttering full speed around the other one...occasionally looking like it was going to dive-bomb it.
The pattern on its underwings was awesome! So pretty!!

Subtle colors on this one.
This one was making its escape just when I spotted it!
It's a calm and wonderful place.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
~William Shakespeare



























Stunning! I think that milkweed comment was intended for us.
ReplyDelete