Friday, May 27, 2011

cactus blossom tour

Get a cup of coffee, or some iced tea, lemonade or just a cold glass of water. Because, you will be here awhile. This is a post with pictures. Lots of them. Last summer, when my sister was here visiting, we got up really early and went to the Desert Botanical Gardens. You can read about that tour here and here, if you have some extra time...and a refill on your beverage.

When we went last summer it was in July and it was really hot. There were still some blossoms on the cacti, but most of them had already bloomed. We were told that May was a better month to go, if you wanted to see a whole lot of bloomin' going on. So, I've been patiently waiting for May and a day that the Reptile Wrangler had off so he could go too. He missed our visit there last year.

We took Grandma while she was here last week. It was a nice day, not too hot and perfectly sunny. Guess what? We were not disappointed. There were cactus blossoms everywhere. Although, it seems that perhaps we were a bit late for some varieties, as it looked like they had their show earlier. I have said this before and I will say it again..."how do some of the weirdest looking plants have such beautiful flowers?"

See what I mean? It is a pretty one isn't it? It almost makes you want to smile.
Hee. Go ahead, you can smile!
It is interesting how some of the largest cacti have some of the smallest blossoms. And some of the smallest cacti have some of the largest blossoms. Some just have one flower and some have a lot. These are bright red and form a ring around the cactus.
This one, tall and skinny, has one bloom just at the top.
But it is one of the prettiest. So very white and the petals are so very delicate.
Here is the Century Plant. They are blooming everywhere right now. They are the ones that shoot a big stalk up that look like a giant asparagus. Then it opens up and the blooms look like pom poms on the ends.
This one was interesting. Again, just one flower on the tip of each arm of the cactus. It probably would have been nice if I could remember all the names of these to share with you, but I don't. This one just had pretty red flowers.
Here is a close-up.

No blossom's here. Just a very interesting cactus. It looked like a brain.
Another century plant.
This is a barrel cactus, I believe. These blooms have their work cut out for them opening up through all those sharp spikes. See the ones way in there just getting started?
This is one of my favorite's. We were there a day or two early, but I think it was very beautiful just starting to open.
These are perfectly cute little pink flowers. This is a random tangent. Looking at these is bringing back a memory. These remind me of a toy we had when we were growing up. They were little plastic flowers that looked like this, they went with a plastic board and you pushed them in to make patterns. I'm not sure I can remember it exactly. Any one remember something like that? I do know that they really hurt if you stepped on them.
Another red one. So very bright.
If you like orange, these were very intense.
And full of blooms.
Another tall spike.
And these beauties. There are not very many that are variegated in color.
I just loved how this one swooped over into a very pretty arch.
Another view. The buds on the ends are just about to open.
Love it.
And here is the top of a saguaro. They are blooming everywhere right now. It seems to me that they are blooming more this year than last. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that last winter was so rainy and this winter it was so cold. Or, if they just cycle and bloom more every other year.
No flower here. Just an interesting long arm on this one.
So, that concludes your mini tour of the Desert Botanical Garden. We really enjoyed it and gave our visit a big... thumbs up! Ha!

Well almost. You know...the day wouldn't have been complete if we didn't see this...
It slithered right across the path in front of us. Seriously? Evidently there was a sign that I didn't see that said, "warning...snake crossing". Thanks for the warning... I'm glad the Reptile Wrangler was there to protect me! Although, he didn't point out the sign. That is his shadow right there in the corner. Facing danger, putting himself between me and the snake.

I didn't know going to see the blossoms on the cactus would also be a wildlife adventure! Sheesh.

1 comment:

  1. Flora and fauna does kind of go together. Thanks for the tour of blossoms.

    Yes, I remember those plastic flower things. They hurt like stepping on Legos.

    ReplyDelete