Monday, June 24, 2013

a bunny, some birds and two other flying things

Since the bobcats have not been around lately and didn't choose our yard to raise a family this spring, we have a lot more birds and bunnies. The owls haven't been around as much either, so all the little creatures are partying! You know, because they are thankful and all that they aren't someone else's lunch. This morning, the party was in full swing!

This little bunny was extra curious. I've never seen them venture out of the grass or rock area, especially never onto the back patio.

And then, I look over and see a mama quail. She is in the lead, while dad follows behind or stands guard somewhere close by chattering to the little group.

See the tiny little babies? They are only about 2-3 inches in length. So darn cute. They follow along as fast as their little feet will run.

The mama flew up to the top of the fence. I don't think these little ones are quite ready to do that just yet, but maybe she was just giving them some lessons. We knew there was a newly hatched nest around, because over the weekend we found a newly hatched baby that had drowned in the pool. Chuck was actually swimming and had just cleaned it when I came out and saw it floating in the deep end. It had already drowned when he scooped it out. So sad.  I saw one a couple of weeks ago that was probably a week or two old, a little bigger, go right over board when the gang was running by. It just plopped right over the edge. Rachel managed to scoop that one out and rescue it just in time. It was swimming around like a little duck, paddling its feet as quickly as it could. Who knew a baby quail could swim like a duck?

The dove are here by the dozens. We are assuming this one has a nest up on top as she spends a whole lot of time up there. The birds do love the saguaro fruit that is there after the blossoms and peck and eat it all the time. But, this particular dove just sits up there by the hours, making us think there is a nest. I've mentioned before that some of these dove are not the sharpest birds in the nest, as they lay their eggs in the goofiest places. Like on top of this cactus, right out in the open, where the hawks and crows will easily find the eggs.

At least they make a bit of a nest with small twigs. The quail just plop their eggs in any planter, under any bush or in an empty clay pot.

This one was guarding the red fruit from the other little bird that thought MAYBE it would try to get a little snack. I'm not so sure sharing is real important to the dove.

That brings me to our cardinal parents. They are trying again to be successful with a nest on our front patio. In the wisteria vines. So close to the door that she must drive herself crazy flying in and out each time we come through the door. Although, the last couple of days she is being more brave, or more protective, as she is staying put longer and longer as we walk by. This morning I snapped these two pictures, through the glass window and the screen door.

I'm trying really hard to "ignore" her, in the hopes that these babies will make it. 

And then, while watching the baby quail and the bunny this morning I see this little guy zipping around on the back patio. I think he was trying to get a drink from some of the flower pot trays.

Then he jumped up in the pot and I wondered if he might be the little culprit chewing on some of the flowers. Just as I pondered that...

He took a flying leap!

Super chipmunk!!


Speaking of super...did you see that SUPER moon flying in the sky this weekend?

Super cool!

4 comments:

  1. Love the wildlife in your backyard. At least all these little guys look a little less menacing than the gila monsters, javelina, and snakes we've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with YOU Helen! Much less menacing for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark had me look through his spotting scope at the super moon. I felt super blind in that eye when I came back inside.
    Enjoy the cute critters, while they last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this... i'm thinking future Rusty Saturday blogger right here!!! :)

    ReplyDelete