Friday, June 7, 2013

sneak peek full reveal

The sneak peek photo on my last post was a close up of this project that I did with Leah. She and I found an old drop-leaf table at a yard sale for $15.00! It was exactly what she wanted for her new apartment. Small in size when the leaves were folded down, but able to seat her family when we head north to escape these hot, hot summers.

Here is a before picture. Although, it isn't really this wonky in size. I'm having trouble with phone pictures loading to my computer in the correct format these days. 

 While the table sat in the garage for a couple of weeks (I was working on some other things for my exciting new adventure), both Leah and I got the very same idea for it. 

We decided one of my collage projects would be pretty darn cool on a table like this. So, with only $15.00 invested in the table and since it wasn't a real great valuable antique, I decided "why not?"  I gathered pieces from my stash of old maps, sheet music, dictionary pages and other unique pieces of paper. And then I got to work. 


After laying some things out on the table, measuring a little here and there and getting a plan of action, I started the gluing process.
And in between helping me place the glue soaked papers down she was taking lots of pictures. Most of which I am very happy to not share with you here. 

However, I will say, one has to be pretty skilled with the camera to photo bomb your own shot!! Good one, Leah!

This shows you what I thought of most of the pictures that she took of me. 

Here is one side almost complete.

We were inspired to sing a little, dance a little, glue a little and laugh a lot! The glueing part was actually quite a lot.

Soon, two sides were almost done on the drop-leaf table and we were mapping out the middle section. (sorry, I had to say it once!)

And as it was getting later into the night, I randomly chose some full sheets of music and placed them  on the table to see if we liked the way it looked.


That is when I noticed the title on this sheet of music. Whoa Nellie!



 In state-ly measure!

And if that wasn't all crazy and ironic enough...as I'm adding some of the small layers, like butterflies, flowers, and some definitions from the dictionary that she chose... this one being the definition for butterfly...
... as I'm running my hands back and forth to be sure the definition piece was secure, my eye catches the definition two words down from butterfly. 

butterfly table.  'A small drop-leaf table with brackets shaped like a butterfly's wings'. 

Seriously? This was all unfolding in a very interesting way. I've never heard that description before about a drop-leaf table. And there it was,  right under the butterfly fish whose definition ends in these four words... 'partially covered in scales'. (Take note of what I just typed there.) Ok, enough already!

Soon, we were on the road to completion. Ahem... And then more literally, we were soon on our way up the highway to move her back to college town. Summer class started this week. She has a cute little apartment that we will enjoy visiting. And quite possibly, having a meal or two somewhere over California. Or New York. Canada perhaps?

 The completed table. Along with two chairs I found for $5.00 each.


                                One of a kind. Unique and rather stately, I'd say.


 We were pretty excited about the way it turned out. It will definitely be a conversation starter and I can imagine lots of worldly stories will be told while sitting around that table.

A fun project!

Check back in a couple of days.
Pictures of my new adventure will be posted!!

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely love it! Your creativity is state-ly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not have control of your photographer, but at least you have editing power. Loved the whole post.

    ReplyDelete