Tuesday, July 23, 2013

circle of old friends


So, here I am, back in the ol' hometown. I'm helping my mom do some organizing, sorting and packing for her upcoming move. An old barbie box filled with the above gems was a bit of a surprise when I opened it the other day! A handful of small dolls from my (and some of my sisters') childhood. Wow!! Now I know where I got my collecting and keeping genes from! I've really known it for a long time...thank-you Mom...I'm proud to be carrying on your most beloved hobby of saving and collecting and as my sister just stated to me today, being the family historian. I hope I can carry that one along with my sisters to preserve our family's past.

Back to these little dollies. Rachel said they looked like something from a scary movie. Well, scary now or not, I can remember playing with these by the hours. I used to make clothing for them. However, based on their "lack of" clothes while posing for this picture, I'm guessing my skills were not all that great. Why are dolls always naked?

I had a little fun texting some pictures of these doll friends to my girls. I think it was worth a laugh or two. And, taking Rachel's response that it looked like they were the stars of a scary movie, I just might have made a quick little video that I sent to them. I was probably more amused than them...but hey...you get a little slap-happy and silly when you are sorting and packing. And sometimes you feel a little choked up and feel like falling to pieces when you find something that evokes a real big memory. Like my dad's flight plan manual from when he got his pilot's license at the age of 50. It was still in his leather brief case that I remember him carrying during that time. That was quite an accomplishment. One that I never joined him in. Flying in the plane. I was pretty scared of flying in a small plane. So I never did. Regrets now? Probably.

I just don't know what to say about this.
Her body was intact when I lifted her out of the box and lined her up with her little friends. But, when I picked her up to put her back in the box, she just fell into pieces.

There is a certain amount of nostalgia that goes along with being here and helping my mom to pack. Not only with all of the memories found in her home, but also being here in this great little town. This town where we hold so many friendships close to our hearts. I'm here to focus on the task at hand, but no matter where I go, I run into so very many old friends. It is heart warming.

It is one that I hope will last. It will.

And all these pieces of our past and all of the family treasures my mom has lovingly cared for all of these years? We will all cherish them.

We will.

2 comments:

  1. These dolls must have been yours and Janet's. We had first generation Barbies and Trolls. The trolls were not that different from these dolls. They had wilder hair. I made clothes out of felt for them and still have the purple-haired troll with a red felt dress adorned with a yellow flower. They were so ugly, they were cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I have also received those saving and collecting genes. If I could post a picture here of the back of my sock drawer, you would see a nice little collection of Barbie heads (bodies missing). I recently opened a box of Elizabeth's dolls and found some of those Trolls Karen mentioned. Yes, it's in the genes...good or bad. I love the reminiscing and the memories. Thanks, Norma.

    ReplyDelete