Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Santa Fe day two


Yesterday.
My day started with a stop at the French Pastry Shop for a little breakfast. Far from Southwest fare, but oh so delicious! And I say...why not?

Then I received a text from a friend that said..."what is inspiring you today?"


Turquoise. That beautiful color is what inspired me. And in a place like Santa Fe the color is rich and vibrant and everywhere you look. There are outdoor stands set up with beautiful turquoise and silver jewelry and shops with windows upon windows displaying all things turquoise. Like a lady I shared a park bench with while devouring my little french pastry said..."food and jewelry..it's everywhere"!


And glass in the bright morning sun. Lovely.

On wood columns lining the sidewalk.

Around many doorways and windows. The color is a perfect compliment to the golds and browns of the stucco buildings. This little shop, with the great name...poem...was filled with all the things that I can spend oodles of time perusing. And I walked out with only one small card. For the hub today for our anniversary. Too bad we flew rather than drive...so many things I could be taking home with me.


And this row of Native American vendors. They have been setting up here for years. I have walked this line before, enjoying the view of all the handmade jewelry. All silver and turquoise and coral and pretty. And the woman smack dab in the middle...a bright turquoise hat. I noticed that people get caught up with the color turquoise wearing shoes, hats, shirts, shorts and anything else that fancies them. It's good to coordinate with the surroundings around you.

I walked into a gallery and this beauty was staring down at us. More verdigris green than turquoise, but weathered and tarnished just perfectly. It's at least eye catching!
 

How much prettier can a span of turquoise windows be with an abundance of flowers sush as this?


Even from the inside, on these perfectly swung open wood framed windows, turquoise in all its beauty. Who wouldn't want windows like this in their home?

A little faded chipped paint on this old door? Yes please.

No matter how hard people try, they just can't re-create the natural aging and cracking of paint weathering in the elements like this. Layers of history here.

I'm all for progress and technology and everything that comes with it, but a little turn of that small handle to ring the bell and a little slot for your letters is far better than a smart phone that delivers your mail or a text announcing your arrival somewhere. Yes young children of the not-so-distant future, mailmen used to hand deliver handwritten letters right to your front door!

I think we both agree, a house with stucco and weathered wood and chippy turquoise paint could be on our wish list. Don't get me started on the hollyhocks...oh, dear beautiful flower...how I have missed you in my yard!

This was just a glimpse of the sights yesterday and the inspiration of the color turquoise.

The blue sky is calling my name. See ya later!

3 comments:

  1. I already had turquoise on the mind from your previous post. It reminded me of the things you are repurposing with that color. Beautiful pictures of a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful location for an anniversary. Hope it was even more enjoyable than seeing all of your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete