Friday, March 17, 2017

lucky am i


                                                        him:  "Lucky am I?"
                                                              me:  "Yes!"
                                      him:  "Come to me, come to me, come to me."
                                                        
                                                         him:  "Lucky am I?"
                                                               me:  "Yes!"
                                      him: "Come to me, come to me, come to me."

                                                         him:  "Lucky am I?"
                                                               me:  "No!"
                                            him: "Go away, go away, go away!"

My grandfather  lived with us from before I was born until his passing when I was twelve. He loved saying this little ditty while pulling on my ear. If I would say "Yes", he would gently pull my ear towards him while saying "come to me, come to me, come to me." If I kept saying "Yes", he would eventually pull me towards him close enough to peck a little kiss on my cheek. If I said "No", he would push me away by the ear saying, "go away, go away, go away"... in which I would burst into giggles!

Grandpa had a little Irish in him and was proud of it. He had a little chenille shamrock pin he would wear on his shirt every St. Patrick's Day and was usually the first to be sure you were wearing green.

So, in honor of St. Patty's day and Grandpa Smith I say...

                                   "Lucky am I"?

No comments:

Post a Comment