Friday, March 25, 2011

another mama

Well I said that I would be "light on posting" here on the blog while taking care of my youngin', but when I saw that another mother is busy too, I decided I needed to share. I noticed two days ago that the rocks that usually cover the dirt in this pot were once again scattered on the ground. I knew that it could only mean one thing and sure enough, yesterday afternoon I spotted a pair of quail being kind of busy.

The male stood sentry, while the female was down behind him in the little dirt indention that they had carved out.
You can barely see her head right down below his foot. They stayed like this for awhile and then they traded spots for a bit. He went into the "nesting" area and she came out on the edge. Then they both flew away.
I went out and peeked inside and found this little egg. Well, I wonder if they are the same pair from last year. They say quail mate for life. But after all the excitement last year and the anticipation that I had waiting for the little eggs to hatch, I'm not going to get too attached to the whole idea. If you don't remember how it turned out last year, you can read about it here.
So, as this mama is taking care of her birdie with the wounded wing... let's just hope the mama outside can protect hers from the evil predators.

No comments:

Post a Comment