Tuesday, September 6, 2011

peer pressure



I have been receiving mail from AARP for several years now and have promptly thrown it all away, shocked that my name somehow got on their mailing list by mistake. Even after we moved to a new state... they found me! My somewhat older husband (by three months thank-you-very-much) hasn't ever gotten mail like this addressed to him! Me? I get it from AARP and The Scooter Store!

I know I'm getting a few gray hairs and I have had to use those pesky reading glasses and sometimes I don't recognize myself in the mirror, what? you know you have that problem too, or at least will someday reeeal soon (remember, I warned you...) anyway, despite all those little inconveniences, I still don't think I am in the category of AARP or The Scooter Store, for crying out loud. Is it because I'm not working? Because I have had knee surgery? Whatever.

So, I mentioned to my older sister that I keep getting this mail from AARP and she said, "join! it's great! it's at least worth the newsletter ! and you get discounts! at hotels". And then a friend of mine in Colorado, admitted with a little laugh, that she and her husband are members too. So, after several nudges to sign up, I can proudly (she says with a big smile) admit that I am now an AARP cardholder! The last letter I got was the clincher. For $16.00 I could sign up AND for doing so, Reptile Wrangler would automatically be signed up too! Just for being married to me! Oh the perks. And, if I mailed the card with a check by the indicated date...I could receive a grocery tote bag! I love those. So, with just a little convincing, the husband agreed. Because, if the brother-in-law is a member then he should be too!

My welcome package arrived with our cards, our new member booklet and my free gift. My grocery tote bag! See it up there in the picture? Ya, that's what I said. That aint no tote bag! It's a dang fanny pack, or camera case, or travel pack to carry my essentials at my waist!

Next time we take a road trip. I'll wear my little pack, loaded with my small camera, my cell phone, reading glasses, lip balm and my new AARP card. I'll entertain the husband, while he is driving, by reading my new issue of the AARP newsletter and magazine to him. Ok, probably not. In fact, I will probably keep the card tucked/hidden away in my wallet.

However, the first chance we get, while checking into a hotel, I can't wait to shout out to Reptile Wrangler..."honey, don't forget to use your AARP card!"

1 comment:

  1. Be sure to use it at Walgreens. They give coupons! Welcome to the club, little sis.

    ReplyDelete