Wednesday, January 27, 2010

the Saguaro cactus

pronounced: sah-wah-ro

It is the largest American cactus.
It's bloom is the official state flower.
It only blooms April through May and only at night.
It only blooms when it reaches 40 years old.

It takes 75 years to develop a side arm.
Starting from a small black seed it takes 10 years to grow to one inch tall.
When houses or highways are built special permits must be obtained to move them.
It is against the law to willfully harm them.

They are native to the Sonoran Desert.
Inside the full grown cactus there are two inch spines that absorb water.
It can hold about a ton of water.
They can live to be 200 years old.
They can weigh as much as 6 tons.
They look pretty majestic with the sunset behind them.
These photos were taken in our yard.
Don't you feel smarter now?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what great pictures and information. Given the facts, some of your cacti must be about 150-200 years old. Good thing your camera has a zoom, so you didn't have to get too close to those spines and risk losing your balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll consider myself enriched today. Great pictures!

    P.S. Because of you, I posted something new to my blog. It's only been since October...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the pictures of your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, so I'm waiting for the picture of your family holding hands around this beauty!!! I miss you, girlfriend, and am loving these pics! j

    ReplyDelete