Today started bright and early with nervous stomachs and chatty anticipation for the beginning of a 'new school' and a 'new job' day. The Dad, heading out for his new job, straightened his tie and hustled out the door at 6:30 am. As I was in the kitchen making lunch for the girls, I was marveling at the fact that the sun was just starting to lighten the morning sky (in other words... thinking "heck, it is still pretty darn dark outside to be starting our day"). Had I not noticed the lighting of the sky on my own, the loud throaty announcement we heard surely got our attention. Though not the normal crow of a rooster one would expect to hear at dawn, it was instead a hearty howl from a neighboring coyote! WHAT?? Just a sign that the sun was coming up or a sign that my family was being thrown to the wolves? I silently hoped it was the start of a sunny new day.
The end of the day is now here with mixed emotions felt by some. Mostly thumbs up for the first day of this new adventure. Rachel and Leah found their way around the campus, which is mostly open air for passing periods. Not bad when it is 70 degrees in JANUARY! Rachel has made her way to the court and is officially a Lady Falcon, wearing number 21 on her new grey and blue jersey. She gets to travel with the varsity basketball team tomorrow to nearby Tempe, where she thinks she will mostly warm the bench. We will see!
Other than that chilly howl that started our day and Leah exclaiming "who wants to be the first one out to the car?"
I'd say... all is well. and by the way...it was a sunny day.
I'm glad the first day was ok for the two of them. I was thinking about them all day. So what did you do after the sun came up? Relax by the pool?
ReplyDeleteI had one student from Alabama start today and another from our neighbor down the highway. Then today I enrolled a student who has only been in the U.S. from Pakistan since November. The home language is Urdu. They spent one month in the Robinson school district where she was the only Muslim student in traditional clothing. They were excited, through a translator, to hear that we have several students who dress including head scarves. I have spent lunch period yesterday and today helping the new students find someone to sit with at lunch, the most difficult part of the new day. I'm glad to hear your girls gave their first day a thumbs up.
ReplyDeleteThe sun was shining here today too, but the temperatures hovered in the 30's. Expecting some extremely colder temperatures on Thursday. Congratulations to Rachel...go #21! Glad the first day of a new school and a new job were given a thumbs up. I'm curious too - any time by the pool?
ReplyDeleteWell....how is it #21?
ReplyDeleteHope the transition is smooth.
Have a great year!!!!!