Monday, March 8, 2010

paparazzi credentials

My keen eyesight and quick response with the camera have fared me well since moving to this great desert state. I mention desert here because...ahem...it is raining again! We feel as if we are living on a tropical island rather than in a dry desert. Anyway, this post is not about the rain, rather more wild sightings. I've been happy to use my natural investigative talents to bring you up to the minute reports on creatures that we see in our new surroundings. It has been exciting and of course educational. I am relieved to say that I have not seen a snake or gila monster, nor do I hope to. We have, however, had an abundance of earth worms land into the pool after all these great rain storms. And I don't mean a few. There have literally been hundreds. They end up forming a big giant cluster towards the drain, as if it were a worm parade or chlorine convention. yuck!

Along with this latest rain surge that moved in, our first house guest arrived too! My sister Karen flew in from Texas on Saturday night, to spend her spring break with us. We are very excited to have her here and she and I have some fun things planned. The rain is not ideal but we will do our best to stay dry. The four of us went to the airport to pick her up Saturday evening. Not being real familiar with this airport, we missed the ramp for the parking garage so I jumped out at the curb to make my way to baggage claim, while the rest circled around to park the car. I found my way to the far end where I thought she would most likely be coming in. I was watching people filter down the escalator, when a bright pink hat caught my eye. I kept watching, noticing her dark sun glasses, designer bag and lots of bling on her jeans. Then I noticed a little scuffle of activity while three guys tried to get her attention. They were asking her if they could get a picture with her and get her autograph. That is when my natural investigative talent kicked in and I realized, "hey...she's somebody!" I'm good like that. So, with those quick reflexes I dug into my purse and pulled out my camera.


Pink hat. Bling. It's Rhianna. Popular R&B music artist. I found out she was in for a benefit concert. And there I was ready with my camera!
Now my awareness level was way up and I knew I needed to be keeping my eyes open for my sister, so I quickly scanned the crowd. As I did, I spotted this long haired guy pushing his cart with his suitcase on it. I actually thought he kinda looked a little familiar to me so I moved in a little closer. That is when the guys that had been surrounding Rhianna came over to him. "Mr. Cooper, Mr. Cooper, can we get your autograph?"
Yep, a slightly aged, not so much bling, old rock star, Alice Cooper.
And there I was once again, with my camera. There were some teenage girls who had asked him if they could get a picture with him. Three of them stood by him, while the other took the picture. Always ready to help with a camera, I offered for her to join them, while I take their picture with her camera. So I did, and then decided I might as well get in the back of their little line to get his autograph too. And I did.

Then my cell phone rang. It was my sister. She was down at the other end of baggage claim with the rest of the family. They were wondering where I was.

Just one of the paparazzi, ya' know.

1 comment:

  1. Way to be watching the crowd...amazing! Did you get your picture with Alice Cooper too? There must have been a big fundraiser going on. On Saturday night, Nancy Lieberman talked about going to Phoenix in the morning. She said she would be seeing her dear friend Mohammed Ali.

    ReplyDelete