Thursday, September 2, 2010

hummingbird

It is not often that hummingbirds stay still long enough to get a picture of them... staying still. But this one did. It was a really hot day and I watched this little one sit on this branch for quite a while. It was so hot, I think he was panting. His little beak stayed open while he tipped his head back and forth. The light didn't capture the color of his neck but it was actually deep purple. Because I am taking pictures through the windows, I'm getting shots of things I normally wouldn't be able too. This bird would not have stayed put if I were outside. But taking it through the glass takes away from the brightness just a little.

It is amazing that these birds are so small and have to work so hard to get around. They flap their wings so quickly and keep flapping them constantly in order to get the nectar from a flower blossom. Obviously, the payoff for their hard work is rather sweet. I love the quiet racket their wings make when they fly by. A little mini helicopter. Flapping harder and faster when they are ready to gain speed and fly away. And it is always a bird that we are excited to see.

I think that we can learn from the hummingbird. Working hard for sweeter rewards and flapping our wings faster to get us where we want to be. But, still taking the time to sit and rest.

Happy September.




No comments:

Post a Comment