Wednesday, September 15, 2010

toadstools

So far, living in the "desert" has been a curious thing. We have, of course, had our share of wild (and thankfully not-so-wild) animals visit our yard. And, we have experienced the desert weather. They say it is a "dry heat", although, this summer the humidity has been higher than in any of the other three southwest states that we have lived before. The extra humidity and sauna-like temperatures, is because the summer brings the "monsoon" season... which actually produced less rain than what we had in February during the "mild" winter. But that was a fluke... something the locals hadn't seen in years.

So, I have come to realize, that nothing is really what we expect it should be. For instance, mushrooms in the grass. In the heat of the summer. I guess I was surprised to see them at all. But then, if they are going to pop up, wouldn't they have popped up when we were getting all that rain in February? Or, is it because they like all the humidity of the monsoon season?
Every time we get just a sprinkling of rain, a new crop of mushrooms peek out of the grass. They start out like a small little dome. They have interesting patterns on their tops.
And then they grow bigger and open up.
They look like mini toadstool umbrellas.
Or mini toadstool huts.
Hello... anyone living under there?

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure you WANT to know what might be living under there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, maybe it's not such a good idea to find out who or what might be living under there.

    I have some photos of toadstools that grew in Plano one time.

    ReplyDelete