Monday, February 14, 2011

be mine

I made this in 1979 for my boyfriend.


It's pretty big, like 24 inches at its widest. My Dad helped me cut out the piece of wood into the big heart shape and then I cut out all those little words and images from magazines. I organized each piece into some sort of order and carefully glued each one individually on to the board. I really don't remember how long it took me to do it, but I'm sure it was quite a few tedious hours. I do remember that I would get them all positioned and when I would come back to it the next night, some of them would have been blown around or knocked off. So I would have to start over again, placing them just right. Once each piece was glued down I coated it with several layers of varnish.

For thirty-two Valentine Day's it has hung on a wall in 5 different houses. My boyfriend passed it on to my husband. And every year I pull it out and hang it up. It's a Valentine that has never changed. Even though we have. Same two people, just older. He was my boyfriend then. I think I am still his girlfriend now.

Happy Valentine's Day to my husband.

Happy Valentine's Day to my three kids.

And Happy Valentine's Day to everyone else. Did anyone wonder why my boyfriend from 1979 would have given his Valentine to my husband? Ha. Same guy.

Have a heart-full day!


5 comments:

  1. This is too cute. I liked clicking on the picture and zooming in to get a closer look at all the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things are really deep. I mean, r e a l l y d e e p.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. Happy Valentine's Day to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jinx! Two posts at exactly 2:43. Well actually, my clock says 4:43 and two time zones over you had 2:43, but it was still at the very same moment regardless the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Valentine's Day from me too! I loved sharing a virtual book signing with you.

    ReplyDelete