Monday, February 21, 2011

two hundred for two hundred

Guess what? Today is my 200th post on this little blog! Two hundred interesting tid-bits of information, such as... places we visit, touching family moments, holiday decorating tips, fantastic recipes and up-to-the-minute- life threatening encounters with wild animals. Gosh, no wonder you are a faithful reader!

So, today, in honor of my blog and the fact that I have given you 200 pieces of interesting things to read and even more lovely photos to view, I give you this:
A really great old book featuring 200 poems for boys and girls. Well, what else would you rather see on this 200th post than a book of 200 poems?
It is quite old and has had many hands flip its pages over the years. I love old books for that reason. I like to imagine all the hands that have touched the pages over all these years. Who else read this book? Did a mother read out loud to her children while they tried to turn the pages faster then she could read? The binding is completely worn out with the front and back cover no longer even attached. The edges of the pages are brittle and worn, just the way I like it. The illustrations are very cute. All silhouettes. Love them.
It was first copy written in 1930. And I wonder who Walter Burrows was?
The list of poets whose work is featured is quite long. There are many recognizable names like William Shakespear, A.A. Milne and Emily Dickinson. A real who's who of poetry.
It is the silhouettes that I really like. Simple illustrations that bring a bit of nostalgia to your day.

Speaking of nostalgia. I ran across this little ditty...

Have you ever heard of a ditty? My dad used that phrase a lot with us kids. "Sing me a ditty", or "play me a little ditty on the piano" or when there were guests at our house, "come on girls, do a little ditty for our company". We would then line up and sing a little song err...ditty. And whether we recited poems for our company or not, I can't recall, but I remember this Purple Cow ditty quite well. I think it was probably recited the most from the back seat of the 'ole buick while on a road trip with the family. And I can remember thinking it was sooo funny.

I can also remember wondering if a purple cow really was purple and wondering...just what would the milk taste like...from a purple cow.

So, that is your ditty for today. It is a catchy little poem and I bet you will have a hard time getting it out of your head. Go ahead, sing me a little ditty.

Just don't make it about a little skunk.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if this was the original source of our version of The Purple Cow and we just changed the third line. I don't think I ever knew it was really a published poem.
    I remember we said it as:
    I never saw a purple cow.
    I never hope to see one.
    But I can tell you anyhow
    I'd rather see than be one.
    Congratulations on number 200. I'm looking forward to the next 200.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I remember the third line that way too. I think it actually "flows" a little better and is probably why we took creative liberty to change it. I figured it was another one of those fine girl scout "ditty's" we were so fond of rather than an actual piece of work. That is why I was so surprised to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just listen...."Well, I stuck..."

    ReplyDelete