Friday, October 28, 2011

edible acorns


I found a picture of these little sweet morsels on the internet. I don't know who originally posted it or came up with the idea, but I thought the cuteness factor was pretty high. So, I made some. There weren't any instructions or a 'recipe'... just the photo. But, my amazing culinary skills gave me the ability to re-create these on my own.
They are little bite size bits of tastiness. Like a little chocolate kiss to your mouth. Wait, it is a chocolate kiss! And here is how I made them.

You will need:
Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Bites
Hershey's Chocolate Kisses
Prepared chocolate frosting ( the kind that comes in the small tub)
Mini Chocolate chips

Take the silver foil off of the kisses. Put the kisses in the fridge to get them cold. ( this gives you more time with your warm fingers to assemble before they start to melt) Separate the peanut butter bites. You will have peanut butter that stays on one half of the cookie bite, or part of the peanut butter on part of one half and part on the other half. That is ok. It does not have to be a perfect peanut butter separation.
Now, spread a small amount of chocolate frosting onto one of the cookie halves. Stick a peanut butter kiss to the frosting. Take a mini chocolate chip and dab a little frosting on the flat end. Stick it to the top of the cookie half. Let the frosting dry. Pile on a plate or in a bowl and you have a treat that is autumnally tasty!

I added these to a platter of desserts, that I served to the volleyball girls, who were at our home recently for a team dinner. I forgot to take a before picture of the acorns and the hand full above was all that was left after the dinner. I think they loved the desserts!

I think these would be fun to make with the young 'uns.
Be warned though, warm fingers = melty kisses.

Or, a stolen kiss = a chocolaty kiss!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I have been wanting to try them myself so your hints will be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These will probably taste way better than the ones we pick up in my mom's front yard.

    ReplyDelete